OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by raevol »

Hey any news on 0.37.0? Sorry to be annoying, but I am anxious to hear what the plan is as far as merging in the OSG port.
Sslaxx

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by Sslaxx »

What's the schedule for merging the two codebases? Hazarding a guess I'd think 0.38.0 (or maybe 0.39).
Zini

Post by Zini »

0.37.0 posting got delayed massively once more. Sorry. Will try to get it done this week.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:0.37.0 posting got delayed massively once more. Sorry. Will try to get it done this week.
No worries! Feel free to delete this thread to avoid confusion.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Nah. Why waste a perfectly good thread? We just need someone to remove the (?) from the title.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Yea, but I feel like your post should be at the top when it's ready. :D
Zini

Post by Zini »

Once again very late. At least the lateness has the advantage that we need to speculate less about what is going to happening during 0.37.0.

As expected nearly all work in 0.37.0 is focused on OpenMW-CS. There are a few minor bug fixes for OpenMW, but until the OSG port is complete we are looking at almost pure OpenMW-CS releases.

That being said, 0.37.0 might be the last pre-OSG feature release. Even on the editor side we are running out of things to do that do not involve rendering. We may do another bug fixing release (0.37.1), but if all goes well 0.38.0 should be the first OSG release.

If possible I would like to include two major features in 0.37.0.

1. Column filtering: sirherrbatka has volunteered to take care of it.

2. Handling of deleted records:
- a. The load code must be modified (move the detection code into the load function within the record struct). This will affect both OpenMW and OpenMW-CS, which both still have some bugs regarding not handling inconsistencies between record types properly and variations within the record format itself. See this issue and this issue for more details.
- b. Handling deleted records when saving (in OpenMW-CS). It is worth considering to move the code for that into the record struct save function too.

This is a larger task and we don't have a volunteer yet.

With these two tasks done (and the various other bits and pieces added by then by various contributors) we should have enough material for a very solid 0.37.0 release.

I won't set a date at this point. Too many unknown variables.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The OpenSceneGraph code is now in master. We will need to polish things a bit more before we can have a release. But it is really looking good.

200 fps in Balmora? Hell, yes!

I need to sort out a few things and then we will start migrating to c++11 (either later this week or next week).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Glad that OSG made it in.

Just a note, I'm still seeing 20fps (exterior) with AoA and I'm not sure why that is. It looks like physics sub-system is taking cpu time away and as result things are sluggish.

Is this something that may be looked into in the future? It wasn't this slow in 0.36.1

Scrawl: Should I file a bug?
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Zini wrote:The OpenSceneGraph code is now in master. We will need to polish things a bit more before we can have a release. But it is really looking good.

200 fps in Balmora? Hell, yes!

I need to sort out a few things and then we will start migrating to c++11 (either later this week or next week).
So does this mean 0.37 is going to take longer then? No worries if so. 0.38 be the C++11 release?

Not going to get 200fps on this ol' Radeon HD 6670 alas. Still, getting 60-70fps (though that's likely to half when the distant land/effects get re-enabled, but that'd still be 10-15fps more than it got with the OGRE renderer).
Last edited by Sslaxx on 30 Jun 2015, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.