OpenMW 0.36.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
sirherrbatka

Re: OpenMW 0.36.0

Post by sirherrbatka »

As mentioned above the slow progress during 0.35.0 was largely my fault. I was distracted with other things, including an irritating addiction with Emacs customizing. Yep, that's about 30 hours of my life that I will never get back. 30 hours that could have gone towards OpenMW-CS instead. Sorry!
So we do have something common afterall…
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Only 30 hours for customizing your IDE?

I must be a really pedantic person then, since I've spent years customizing and I'm still not complete.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Coming out of customization addicted? :lol:
Zini

Post by Zini »

Ace (SWE) wrote:Only 30 hours for customizing your IDE?

I must be a really pedantic person then, since I've spent years customizing and I'm still not complete.
No one said anything about it being complete. Also, only text editor. I don't use IDEs and I am certainly not going to start using emacs as an IDE.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I guess I should say Development Environment, not IDE. Since I don't really use IDE's all that much myself.
Well, except for Visual Studio when on Windows, since you all but have to do that for things to work on there.
Zini

Post by Zini »

What are peoples opinions about preparing for the release? Admittedly it would be rather slim compared with our previous feature releases. There is barely anything on the OpenMW side. We do have some important improvements on the OpenMW-CS side though, including one critical crash bug fix.

End of next week for first round of RC builds? Everybody okay with that?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sounds good.

Question: OpenMW-CS is still Ogre3D or has it been switched to OSG?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Still OGRE.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Reporting in. :)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Zini wrote:We do have some important improvements on the OpenMW-CS side though, including one critical crash bug fix.
As much as I love new releases, I have to wonder about the CS. I mean, I am totally looking forward to working with it or writing guides or making video tutorials, etc... but of how much use is it right now? What exactly can you do with the CS right now that you can save? I know we can save globals, but what else? One of the most basic mods you can do is creating or modifying a referenceable, but we can't save that to an .omwaddon yet.

So though the CS has made significant progress and working within the construction set is convenient (oh gods yes, that global search!), modders won't be able to save most of their work anyway, rendering the CS kinda... impractical? right now. I guess what I'm asking is... are you sure it is worth doing a CS-focused release if people won't do anything with the CS anyway?

I hope you understand what I'm asking here. I don't know exactly what we can and cannot save yet with the CS, so I don't know of how much practical value this update would be. Do you know what I mean?