Release Video Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Lazaroth

Re: Release Video Commentaries

Post by Lazaroth »

scrawl wrote:The voice is unprocessed this time, as far as I know, which might be a possible reason
Just wanted to underline that my criticism was more geared towards WeirdSexy's performance and not so much with any editing.
scrawl wrote:add ducking for music
A heads up that you might be tempted to use a gate for this, but putting in the extra time by doing it manually usually gives a better result.

In general; for voice, a small compressor and/or an exciter is usually enough, unless there's something weird with the sound in which case you might also need a separate EQ, small reverb and/or noise cancellation.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I think WeirdSexy's "performance" is fine... Sure I hear a difference, but without that reference it's really just fine you guys...
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Hey all. Long time no see :)

I think my 'performance' in this video can be attributed to me recording after a long day of work and not being used to being handed a script by someone else to read. Also, my tone in more recent videos has been influenced by the fact that there are multiple comments on YouTube saying things like "This guy has a soothing voice, I enjoy listening to it." and there have been zero comments (on YouTube) saying "This man sounds bored."

Scrawl, if you want to automate the volume ducking, look into something call sidechain compression. I don't use that though. Audacity has a quite nice "auto-duck" feature. I also manually apply a lowpass filter to bits when I'm speaking.

Actually, that voice-over track was fully processed when I gave it to you. I guess, being able to hear it alone rather than on top of a video, you noticed that my recording quality really isn't all that good ;)

My basic vocal processing chain is: noise reduction, EQ to lower some mid frequencies and boost some high frequencies, a ton of compression, a de-esser, and then normalize to -0.1db.

I'm hoping I can come back and retake at least part of my formal role in the future, but I've still been pretty busy.

Perhaps I can take a collaborative role in script writing or something else. I do know that producing these videos all on one's lonesome can be quite demanding :) I very much like the idea of multi-person, conversational style videos, but no one else other than Star-Demon ever seems to have wanted their voice heard by the OpenMW community :(
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

A guy called Christopher Were on YouTube seemed somewhat interested when I'd asked him, maybe something might come of it since he's been speaking to Zinn.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I am in contact with him, but still waiting for feedback. Nothing definitive at this point.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

scrawl wrote:add ducking for music and sound fx
QUACK!
WeirdSexy wrote:I think my 'performance' in this video can be attributed to me recording after a long day of work and not being used to being handed a script by someone else to read. Also, my tone in more recent videos has been influenced by the fact that there are multiple comments on YouTube saying things like "This guy has a soothing voice, I enjoy listening to it." and there have been zero comments (on YouTube) saying "This man sounds bored."
Dude, that meant that people liked your voice as it is. Less energy is only right if you are naturally very energetic, but yours is naturally soothing, which is exactly why your VOs are usually so great.
WeirdSexy wrote:but no one else other than Star-Demon ever seems to have wanted their voice heard by the OpenMW community :(
Why not, devs? Just have a chat, it's not scary - it's fun. And not only is it fun, people get to listen to people who make OpenMW. Which is great from a PR point of view, if I might add that as a propaganda merchant.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

All right, I made some minor corrections and published it. Now we need a blog post.

I tried to add an annotation to the video, saying that 0.32 has been released two months ago and the video is slightly late. But apparently the YouTube annotation editor is totally broken in my browser. Can someone else try to do this for me?
raevol

Post by raevol »

I will try to get a blog posted tonight, but if anyone wants to beat me to it, please go ahead. I am cramming for a test on integrals on Monday...
raevol

Post by raevol »

Posted up. Also the video embedding worked automagically for me this time. Also also I finished all my integral homework. Feeling pretty good right now you guys.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote:Posted up. Also the video embedding worked automagically for me this time.
I made some changes to the embedding code, so it should work :)