Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
HeadClot

Re: Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Post by HeadClot »

So we are OK to port the engine (not the assets or story from what I am gathering) to android?

Either way I am happy we are allowed to continue :)
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I mean, you don't even need to port the assets to Android. We're just not supposed to tout OpenMW as "Morrowind on Android", which we never even did (and we should try to keep people from shouting about it).
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

SquireNed wrote:I mean, you don't even need to port the assets to Android. We're just not supposed to tout OpenMW as "Morrowind on Android", which we never even did (and we should try to keep people from shouting about it).
Ok, So should we change the project name? Just curious here or should we not port to android?

I am learning how to program because of this project and I would hate to see such effort go to waste.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

No, neither of those things is necessary.

However, we shouldn't go about screaming "WE'VE BROUGHT MORROWIND TO ANDROID!" because we really haven't (though sandstranger's work was pretty boss). Basically, Android support is a stealth feature until we get a sizable amount of third-party standalone content (e.g. U9 et al.) that does not require the original Morrowind assets at all. Then we say "You can run [TC/Standalone Game] on OpenMW on Android." and don't really mention Morrowind's original content itself, even though it would work as well. I doubt that either Bethesda's people or any OpenMW developers believe that crippling any and all Android builds that OpenMW officially puts out would prevent people from getting around any restrictions that may be imposed on using original Morrowind's content in it, so we're doing the "don't ask, don't tell" solution.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Great job Brother Brick! And thank you Matt! That's the absolute best of what we were hoping for! Very reasonable.
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

SquireNed wrote:No, neither of those things is necessary.

However, we shouldn't go about screaming "WE'VE BROUGHT MORROWIND TO ANDROID!" because we really haven't (though sandstranger's work was pretty boss). Basically, Android support is a stealth feature until we get a sizable amount of third-party standalone content (e.g. U9 et al.) that does not require the original Morrowind assets at all. Then we say "You can run [TC/Standalone Game] on OpenMW on Android." and don't really mention Morrowind's original content itself, even though it would work as well. I doubt that either Bethesda's people or any OpenMW developers believe that crippling any and all Android builds that OpenMW officially puts out would prevent people from getting around any restrictions that may be imposed on using original Morrowind's content in it, so we're doing the "don't ask, don't tell" solution.
Can I at-least make a Standalone Game for Android with OpenMW as Sample Content?

Asking for permission before I act.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

SquireNed wrote:However, we shouldn't go about screaming "WE'VE BROUGHT MORROWIND TO ANDROID!" because we really haven't (though sandstranger's work was pretty boss)
Thing is, Sandstranger's work (as I laid out in that one newspost) is not even done by OpenMW. So even if gaming websites were totally picking up on it, we can't help that; we're not the ones pimping it. We're just this Windows/OSX/Linux engine, you know?
HeadClot wrote:Can I at-least make a Standalone Game for Android with OpenMW as Sample Content?
Asking for permission before I act.
I think that would be encouraged.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

The conversation is still ongoing, we're hammering out details, clarifying what Bethesda wants and chatting about other things.
Matt Grandstaff wrote: Comments/request on OpenMW -- not right now, but I'll be following the project more closely now that I've chatted with you guys.

Linux -- no announced plans for anything like that. If that ever changes we'll let everyone know.

Internships/jobs -- all openings are on jobs.zenimax.com. You have experience and appreciation for our games, so that's a great start.

Interview stuff -- would love to figure out something when I have more time.
In case you are wondering, I asked if Bethesda had plans to have Linux as a first class citizen in future games. ;)

I'll begin post the emails in the wiki and having them 'locked' for editing.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Matt Grandstaff wrote:Comments/request on OpenMW -- not right now, but I'll be following the project more closely now that I've chatted with you guys.
What's this bit referring to?
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Is OpenMW advertising any platform at all? All I see when I visit the site is "here's an open source game engine that can run Morrowind". The platforms themselves are just secondary, and due to its open source nature it will probably be able to run on my toaster. An Android version would be simply just another binary. If you take a look at OpenXcom there is no mentioning of supported platforms:
http://openxcom.org
Only when you go to the downloads section do you actually find out what it can run on.