Unneeded Mods list

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
tossman101

Unneeded Mods list

Post by tossman101 »

This is something I think would be helpful once 1.0 is released. Just a list of mods that are not needed with Openmw such as Morrowind Code Patch. I did some searching and did not find one. I'd be willing to compile the list, but I'm new to Morrowind mods so really unsure of where to start other than MCP which I only figured out after finding a few forum posts saying it's not needed.
K0kt409P

Re: Unneeded Mods list

Post by K0kt409P »

• Morrowind Code Patch
  • Morrowind Script Extender
  • Morrowind Graphics Extender
That's the entire list. And these aren't even necessarily "unneeded", just incompatible with OpenMW.
tossman101

Post by tossman101 »

Thanks for the info.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Code patch IS unneeded since it fixes errors in the original engine that won't be made in this engine. MGE and MWSE is another case. They will eventually be unneeded, but atm, they are just incompatible. MWSE adds some scripting possibilities through a third party program. More advanced scripts will be added to OpenMW, though not necessarily the MWSE-scripts if I've understood it correctly. MGE adds graphical enhancements through a third party program that could easily be added to OpenMW without the need for an extra program.
Digmaster

Post by Digmaster »

We should support all mwse functions, that's definitively in the books. It's a post 1.0 feature though (or at least until the rest of scripting is nailed down), so don't hold your breath for it
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

I was just thinking of suggesting a wiki page before we get to 1.0 listing mods that are known to work, mods that will not work yet but may do later, ones that probably never will work and ones that will not be needed as the engine already does that.

I was thinking it should be done before 1.0 as there may be a great number of new players arriving who think 1.0 means complete and they may just start throwing mods at it as they did in vanilla, and then getting upset as they do not do what was expected.

I do not use a lot of mods, in fact I think I only used windows lighting and Necessities of Morrowind, NoM works partially in OpenMW, you need to eat, drink and sleep, alcohol affects you there are lots of foods to buy but you cannot cook and sleeping may not be working correctly, it also seems to lock the player in run mode. So this would go in a partially working list for now. There was a discussion that something liker NoM might be part of the main code sometime which would be great and the NoM mod could then go in the not needed list.

Maintaining this list might not be trivial after a few dozen mods get listed as they would need to be retested and recategorised after each update, except the not need list.

If tossman101 wants to maintain the list I would be happy to help test mods to keep the list up to date.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Ideally, every mod should work that does not rely on a 3rd party binaries. And I don't think there aren't any mods that are made redundant by OpenMW, except again those that depend on 3rd party binaries or include such binaries. Of course there may be bugs in OpenMW that stop certain mods from working. But that is better tracked in our issue tracker.
tossman101

Post by tossman101 »

What I was envisioning is pretty much word for word what Tinker hashed out. I never had Morrowind on PC so I am new to modding Morrowind and modding games in general if I'm being honest. But I'm confident that I can figure it out easily enough.