OpenMW 0.31.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Re: OpenMW 0.31.0

Post by WeirdSexy »

I just saw that the delay of a video commentary for this release was mentioned a few pages ago, but I thought I should come by and say something myself. I haven't had a chance to work on anything yet. I'm going to be busy through this week and weekend. If I can get started this coming weekend, then I should be able to finish throughout the week or by next weekend.
Anyway, yeah it's looking like the video isn't going to be posted anytime close to the actual release for this version. I'm very sorry about that. I expect to be busy still during the time of the next release, but not this busy. So, hopefully this does not become a habitual thing.

All of that aside, this looks like a fantastic and enormous release! Thank you all for soldiering on and making continued progress on this glorious project.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Time management skills are a requirement, and you are doing great. Keep your real life a priority. :) Good luck!
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Yeah, do what you gotta do, Weird.
raevol

Post by raevol »

No worries WeirdSexy! Like psi said, keep up with your real life!

Aaaaand 0.31.0 is up! Congrats everyone!!

EDIT: Many thanks to psi29a for uploading the release packages for me. It took him 1 minute on his connection to do what was going to take me 3 hours...
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Wow, that's a huge release.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe weirdsexy should do a release video for 0.32? That change log seems daunting. I'd do a combined video for 0.31 and 0.32. You could quickly acknowledge the number of bug fixes . There could be scrolling list of the changes not covered in the video to emphasize how many there were and then move on to covering major feature additions.

If anyone is familiar with the indie game Overgrowth http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth and their video releases, you'll know that they eventually switched from doing weekly videos to much less frequently.

Save your energy for the 1.0 video. After the 1.0 release the faq video should be updated and there should probably be some how-to videos for OpenCS.

Anyways, amazing release. Should I start posting to various websites about the release?
raevol

Post by raevol »

ElderTroll wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe weirdsexy should do a release video for 0.32? That change log seems daunting. I'd do a combined video for 0.31 and 0.32. You could quickly acknowledge the number of bug fixes . There could be scrolling list of the changes not covered in the video to emphasize how many there were and then move on to covering major feature additions.
I definitely agree with this...
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

"In memory of all the bugs that have been squished these past two versions."

[scrolling list, while the world's smallest violin plays]
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I love the scrolling list of bugs with sad violin music in the background. But I disagree with no video for 0.31.0. Weird Sexy's videos are the icing on the cake!
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Okulo wrote:"In memory of all the bugs that have been squished these past two versions."

[scrolling list, while the world's smallest violin plays]
That list was HUGE. you devs are crushing it like godzilla smashing tokyo :twisted:

awesome work people

ST
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Few question for clarity:
  • Dialog Merging - What is this exactly? This deals with merging in lines of dialog from mods with vanilla dialog?
  • Missing Creature State - What exactly were we missing? It looks like this means we keep better track of spells now? (for the player and NPCs/Creatures?)
  • Leveled Creature Handling - Okay, so duplicate creatures don't spawn on top of each other now. Why did they in the first place?
Thanks.