OpenMW 0.31.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.31.0

Post by Zini »

And once more ...

As seen here we are pretty close to becoming feature complete. All is going well and I don't really have much to say about OpenMW.

OpenCS is another case. We still lacking manpower. It seems right now sirherrbatka and I are doing the bulk of the work, which is just not enough. I certainly don't want to distract the OpenMW development by pushing people towards OpenCS. But if there are any inactive or retired OpenMW developers, I would be very happy to see some un-retire themself and help us out a bit (new people are also welcome, of course).

There are still plenty of tasks. Among these we have two larger groups:

1. User Settings

With a properly working user settings feature we are finally able to implement the missing user settings. There must be dozens of \todo comments all across the source by now. And we also have some tasks on the tracker:

- Editor: Rendering User Settings
- Editor: Column filtering

(the later not strictly being a user settings task, but it strongly depends on user settings, because that is where the filters will be managed).

2. Rendering

We are still not ready for the big rendering tasks, but there is a lot of smaller tasks, that could be easily tackled with a bit of OGRE knowledge:

* Editor: Render cell markers
* Editor: Render cell border arrows
* Editor: Render cell border markers
* Editor: Mouse picking in worldspace widget

Anyway, going for a new release every two months seems to work well for us, so we should stick with that.
sirherrbatka

Re: OpenMW 0.31.0

Post by sirherrbatka »

A little disclaimer: Although I would love to see me doing bulk of the work with zini, I'm afraid that it is in fact zini who is doing bulk of the work, with me helping him. So any help is really welcome.
gus

Post by gus »

I'll try to help a bit about the editors tasks. If you are still OK with this, could we team up again sirherrbatka? I admit QT is kinda scarry :p I suppose I could go with the Ogre related tasks.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

I'll help out where I can, but to be honest I have no idea how. I don't use CS (vanilla or opencs), don't know Qt, don't know Ogre,.. I suppose I can do some investigations on bugs.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@gus: Makes sense to me. Feel free to pick some or all of the OGRE tasks I listed.

@cc9cii: I guess you would be more useful at OpenMW right now, but if you want to have a go at OpenCS and Qt we can try to find some easier tasks to get you started.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@gus
Qt may be large and sometimes complex but in fact it really makes sense. It is well designed, with only few fails.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That is arguable. But I agree that it is not hard to get into.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

/me is ready to argue about that. :geek:
EmperorArthur

Post by EmperorArthur »

The most annoying thing is that every toolkit implements their own version of the STL containers. They all work the same way as pure C++, until they don't. Seriously, there's std::string, ogre::string, QString, and whatever boost adds to the mix.

Also, I'm going to do some more work on loading XYZ_rotation info. Currently that code is a little too generic so I've had to hack several things just to get files to load. I don't know anything about the rendering engine or Ogre though, so actually using the data might have to be someone else's job.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Zini wrote: @cc9cii: I guess you would be more useful at OpenMW right now, but if you want to have a go at OpenCS and Qt we can try to find some easier tasks to get you started.
I might stay fixing bugs in OpenMW then. However I'll also have a go at looking at any open OpenCS bugs when I get a chance.