At this rate...

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Jyby

At this rate...

Post by Jyby »

At this rate there won't be a OpenMW 1.0.0 :D

Great job guys! Your working really hard to get all the features in and squashing bugs, but your outpacing our version schema. ^_^

I bet we'll be 99% complete before OpenMW 0.79.0 !

So maybe we'll have time to rewrite the entire game before we go official with OpenMW 1.0.0
Zini

Re: At this rate...

Post by Zini »

Not sure what you mean. When we are ready for the 1.0 release we just switch over from 0.x.0 to 1.0.0. That is how this scheme works.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

The middle number is not a percentage, and the periods are not decimal points :P

If OpenMW hypothetically had 0.99.0 and another version would come out, it would just go to 0.100.0.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Why do people think v1.0 means "the 100th release"? And all the releases before that are something like "OpenMW is 30% done ... 31% done ..."?

I understand that not everyone confused about this is a software developer, but I really don't think one has to be to get it.

Surely people have seen game patches version numbers before, or at least some other software version numbers if they are paying attention to an open-source software project/game engine like this?

Or perhaps, our followers are younger, on average, than I thought and they are used to patches for games downloading and installing automatically without ever having to look at them because they use Steam for everything or some other situation like that.

If I write something for it, would we want to add this to the FAQ temporarily until v1.0 is released?
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

HA.. haha...

We should stick to it and see where we get! I'm betting we'll have a fully playable and moddable game by 0.79.0!

I like incremental version numbers. For example Mac OS X 10.1 ... 10.2... 10.3 ...

So do we clearly define the major and minor numbers and what they mean?

v1 - The first major release
0.x.0 - The minor release
0.0.x - patch number

EDIT: I'm a software guy! SE :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Jyby wrote:So do we clearly define the major and minor numbers and what they mean?

v1 - The first major release
0.x.0 - The minor release
0.0.x - patch number

EDIT: I'm a software guy! SE :D
major.minor.revision

Please read here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_ ... _sequences

To be fair, we've always said (search around) that once we're there, we would bump automatically to 1.0 (1.0.0).

I'm an SE as well, at least that is what it says on my pay stub. ;)
Last edited by psi29a on 18 May 2014, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Jyby wrote: I like incremental version numbers. For example Mac OS X 10.1 ... 10.2... 10.3 ...
It's basically the same system.

10.3 doesn't mean they did one percent more stuff since 10.2 or anything.

Perhaps Apple wants to come out with OS 11 one day. They don't have to wait until they have v10.99.0 to do it.
They could go straight from the current version (v10.9.3) to v11.0.0.

Before Apple had OS X, they had OS 9. The last version of it was v9.2.2.

Your breakdown of the versioning is fairly correct.
So if the version is vA.B.C:
  • A denotes a major revision
  • B denotes a minor revision
  • C is used for hotfixes, as I understand it.
v0.xx.xx means we are still in 'early' development and the engine is not fully playable yet.
v1.0.0 will be the first version of the engine where the game morrowind, as far as we know, is fully playable with it.

I didn't mean to sound condescending if it came off that way. I knew you were a software person. It's just that this seems like a fairly common versioning scheme, I don't understand why it would be confusing to technically literate people like yourself. Surely you've seen another project that is still in the 'beta' stage with a version number like v0.1.2?
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

wait wait wait!

You got percentage form this?
I bet we'll be 99% complete before OpenMW 0.79.0 !

No I was saying we'd be 99% complete with all the work we need to do before OpenMW 0.79.0

I didn't mean to imply 0.x.0 meant percentage.

I personally believe we're 85% done with OpenMW (not including OpenCS).
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't talking only about you in my post. More than a few people have expressed varying degrees of confusion about our versioning scheme and at least one of them thought the numbers were percentages.

I hope to hell we hit v1.0.0 long before v0.79.0.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Optimistically, this year.

(No pressure guys... ) :P