OpenMW 0.28.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Berandas

Re: OpenMW 0.28.0

Post by Berandas »

scrawl wrote: Alt-Tabbing should work. I don't have any issues with it.
After returning to game, both my maps turned black and some sounds were gone (footsteps). I'll try to reproduce this error and post more information.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Berandas wrote:
scrawl wrote: Alt-Tabbing should work. I don't have any issues with it.
After returning to game, both my maps turned black and some sounds were gone (footsteps). I'll try to reproduce this error and post more information.
Make videos and post them on youtube or something, those help as well to really demonstrate what is going on.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

well...after alt+tabing back to the game, my local map in the inventory and minimap turns black, on the global map all newly loaded cells turns black - screens.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Afaik this is a directx renderer bug. Did you try opengl?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Yeah, I've always assumed that more work was going to be done on shadows. I don't know enough about graphics rendering to say anything intelligent about them. In their current implementation, they do look/behave weird to me. I could post a video elaborating on that, but I've assumed that they look basically the same to everyone and that the issues were obvious.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Worry not. There are a multitude of flaws in Ogre's shadow mapping code that are already fixed in 2.0.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

scrawl wrote:Worry not. There are a multitude of flaws in Ogre's shadow mapping code that are already fixed in 2.0.
But we're still waiting for 1.10 to be released... ;)

In case someone was wondering about shadows and what is happening in Ogre 2.0:
The schedule had to be reviewed. Shadow mapping was high priority and deeply broken. Thus the compositor started having more priority and I ended up making almost all of the Compositor that was scheduled for 2.1 in 2.0; the advantages are massive. The compositor was favoured over restoring billboards & particle FXs.
Additionally, bugs in shadow mapping from Ogre 1.x were fixed. Some of them where inherent to Ogre's 1.x design and would be hard to port them back.
So it looks like by properly taking care of things in Ogre 2.0 (even going so far as to tackle 2.1 problems in 2.0), this also fixed problems with shadows mapping. Great work being done there! Just re-engineer it until the other problems/bugs go away... :)