OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
easygamer82

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by easygamer82 »

So...Have the Nightlys stopped? It has been over one week since the last one. Cheers. 8-)
EisigGefroren

Post by EisigGefroren »

Everytime it delays, I hope it's the last testing phase of the beta-release. Multiple times now.
Maybe 0.46 beta had to be extensive cause of it will be the last beta release. I suppose. I'm not the inventar.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Ace reported there were some issues with the server or something like that. He'll fix it when he can.
EisigGefroren wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 09:43 Everytime it delays, I hope it's the last testing phase of the beta-release. Multiple times now.
Maybe 0.46 beta had to be extensive cause of it will be the last beta release. I suppose. I'm not the inventar.
OpenMW is not in beta, we don't use that term (yet, at least). OpenMW will get the 0.46.0 release out as soon as Zini or psi29a says so, basically. Once they say go, there will be some release candidate builds made, and if they're all fine, the release is good to go.

The delay of 0.46.0 is purely has nothing to do with slower development (because if anything, development has been faster than usual), it has more to do with Zini being gone for a long time. He has returned now though.

If 0.46.0 will be the last release before 1.0 or not is for Zini to decide. OpenMW could perhaps be ready for 1.0 soon-ish, but OpenMW-CS is not. So the question is, do we split up OpenMW and OpenMW-CS, or do we delay 1.0 until the CS has caught up?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Something broke with the windows nightlies... happens from time to time. Thanks for letting us know, and no, it doesn't have anything to do with a release.

0.46 just keeps getting bigger and bigger the longer we wait to pull the trigger for release.

At this point... something keeps being worked on, and we say... that's cool, that should go in, while the work on a feature is being done there are also bug fixes coming in. I guess at some point we have to say... alright, release time. Lack of release does not mean that OpenMW isn't being worked on, have a look github/gitlab. ;)

We really don't have a sense of urgency because we have nightlies that people can try which are like rolling releases.

If anything OpenMW, itself, as it stands... has already met all our original goals (1:1 vanilla Morrowind replacement) so I'm not even sure if alpha/beta/whatever even applies to OpenMW or open-source in general, we just keep moving on one release at a time.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

By the way, for the PPA: Using Linux Mint 19.3, the daily PPA build is no longer working properly. It attempts to forcibly uninstall OpenMW, and reinstalling the package says it's missing a dependency which is, in fact, installed, and which I can't safely remove to tinker with because other things I use are also dependent on it. Not sure if this is anywhere near enough to let people track down the issue, but I'm kinda at my wit's end on this one.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

I'd also prefer seeing a 1.0 release independent of the CS, but hey, I'm not a dev here. Whose call will that be, anyway? I just feel like it would generate loads of publicity. And I think many people still don't understand semantic versioning and think 0.46 is below 50% :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Jemolk wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:22 By the way, for the PPA: Using Linux Mint 19.3, the daily PPA build is no longer working properly. It attempts to forcibly uninstall OpenMW, and reinstalling the package says it's missing a dependency which is, in fact, installed, and which I can't safely remove to tinker with because other things I use are also dependent on it. Not sure if this is anywhere near enough to let people track down the issue, but I'm kinda at my wit's end on this one.
Interesting... hit me up on discord or PM and we can figure this out.

What is the dependency? To be fair, we do not officially support Mint, just Ubuntu... though it should 'just work'. It could be that mint has changed something.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

So...PSI and I got my problem figured out. Turns out, Mint isn't giving out a fully up-to-date version of LibSDL. Needed a newer one for the builds of OpenMW. Thanks to PSI, that version can now be gotten from the PPA, so everything's working now!
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Well, I managed to copy all of my build server data over and get a new install up and running, along with a nightly build done with the regular scripts.
Now using VS2019 though, so I'd really like it if people were able to test the build and see if it works as intended, so I can iron out any potential issues before there's a need for RCs.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~ace/OpenMW/O ... -win64.exe (Of commit 3bd2c114a)
EisigGefroren

Post by EisigGefroren »

Ace (SWE) wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 00:57 Now using VS2019 though, so I'd really like it if people were able to test the build and see if it works as intended, so I can iron out any potential issues before there's a need for RCs.
I've tested a few minutes. No issues on my site. May just don't know how to provoke those concerned.