OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
TheOneWhoWatches

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by TheOneWhoWatches »

psychotrip wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 05:36
TheOneWhoWatches wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 05:32 Everything looks fine.
Other than renaming/deleting openmw config folder in "my documents\my games" (to start from clean slate), I have no idea.
You mean openmw.cfg? Once I delete it, how do I get new one?
No, I mean the whole directory "my documents\my games\openmw".
I would've started with that to rule out the possibility of corrupted/outdated config.
I usually not deleting it, just renaming, to be on the safe side. =)
openmw-wizard should help you configure it anew.
psychotrip

Post by psychotrip »

TheOneWhoWatches wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 05:39
Other than renaming/deleting openmw config folder in "my documents\my games" (to start from clean slate), I have no idea.
I would've started with that to rule out the possibility of corrupted/outdated config.
Aww man so I guess I did it wrong. I only renamed openmw.cfg. It asked me to run the installation wizard again. I did that. I opened up the OpenMW nightly. The problem is still exactly the same. So I guess I should try renaming the entire openmw folder?

Edit: Okay so doing that SEEMS to have worked. either way thank you so much in advance! If it all falls apart again in a few minutes I hope you don't mind me asking more questions lol.
TheOneWhoWatches

psychotrip wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 05:45
Aww man so I guess I did it wrong. I only renamed openmw.cfg. It asked me to run the installation wizard again. I did that. I opened up the OpenMW nightly. The problem is still exactly the same. So I guess I should try renaming the entire openmw folder?
I'm just a user like you. Probably deleting openmw.cfg should be enough. It's just that I prefer to be on the safe side. =)

Edit: Glad it's solved.
I'll try to answer the questions, but there are people who know much more about this game, so... =)
Good luck with the game!
psychotrip

Post by psychotrip »

TheOneWhoWatches wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 06:00
psychotrip wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 05:45
I'm just a user like you. Probably deleting openmw.cfg should be enough. It's just that I prefer to be on the safe side. =)

Edit: Glad it's solved.
I'll try to answer the questions, but there are people who know much more about this game, so... =)
Good luck with the game!
Lol I'll try not to bother you much more then! Just one more question for the day then I'll leave you alone: now that I did all that resetting, it seems like settings.cfg isn't working properly anymore. Everything in the file is exactly the same, but saving doesn't change anything in my current openMW game. Is there some other, new settings.cfg? A quick search on my computer shows that I apparently have several. I'm assuming that shouldn't be the case.

EDIT: THE ISSUE HAS BEEN FOUND!

It WAS a problem with settings.cfg after all. For some reason I had draw distance set to "100000 .0". A tiny typo ruined everything. Deleting the ".0" fixed everything immediately. Thank you so much for all your help!
TheOneWhoWatches

Sorry, I was away. Glad it's solved.
I don't mind questions, just saying that I'm not the knowledgeable one. That's why I usually just lurk here.
It just happens that I had the same (or similar) problem. =)
But I'm sure there are other people here who can help better than me.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is the

Code: Select all

viewing distance = 6666666 # Determines how much land is rendered. Add another 6 or 66 to it.
case actually not working, then? We do have code that's supposed to make comments at the ends of lines work. If it's not working, I'll need to know exactly which commit broke it, or, failing that, at least which nightly.
faerietree

Post by faerietree »

Can anyone test to verify comments only work on new lines? Else git bisect to find a commit hash please?

We may want to split comments by space after values that do expect one and only one scalar to prevent trailing random chars in config to lead to such breakage (as described by psychotrip and TheOneWhoWatches)? Though that requires knowledge of which of the config keys are onedimensional
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

The reason is already known.
psychotrip

Post by psychotrip »

Hey! Sorry for the dumb question, but is there a place we can see what each new nightly adds or changes? The last one I downloaded added full controller support (with precise movement and everything) and it's amazing. I'd love to see what other stuff you guys are playing around with here.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Commit log on GitHub or GitLab (they should be the same).

Check the hash commit revision from the download link to determine what exactly got into the build or keep in mind Windows nightlies are built in the middle of the night in UTC time.