Commentary Videos Translations

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
lazydev

Re: Captions for Release Videos

Post by lazydev »

Greye, it is good that you are making russian translations of news and captions for release videos, but... form my point of view, your translations are hard to read and listen. My english is too bad to describe, i hope that the forum guys will excuse me if i describe it in russian.
Spoiler: Show
I dont have time at the moment to fully describe what is wrong with the translation, maybe I'll try to make my own translation at the weekend. But the main idea of my is that translations should not be only grammatically corrected machine translations.

But, ofc, it is better than nothing, so it is good you keep making the translations if noone else doing it.
Btw, greye, is russian language native for you? Or you are a foreigner who learned it?
mjmax

Post by mjmax »

This is great, going the extra mile to make foreign language captions is awesome. Wish I could help, but the only translation I could make would be a Latin one. :lol:
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Latin? This actually sounds cool. :D
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

lazydev wrote:Greye, it is good that you are making russian translations of news and captions for release videos, but... form my point of view, your translations are hard to read and listen. My english is too bad to describe, i hope that the forum guys will excuse me if i describe it in russian.
I dont have time at the moment to fully describe what is wrong with the translation, maybe I'll try to make my own translation at the weekend. But the main idea of my is that translations should not be only grammatically corrected machine translations.

But, ofc, it is better than nothing, so it is good you keep making the translations if noone else doing it.
Btw, greye, is russian language native for you? Or you are a foreigner who learned it?
Wait what? I had forgotten you arnt a native speaker. I have had experience 'talking' with many many people from around the world. Your english ability ranks at the top of what I have seen and it wouldnt take much to be indistinguishable from a native speaker.
lazydev

Post by lazydev »

I dont understand your sarcasm, Tarius.

I think that if the project want to have translations to other languages, the man, who made the translation, should be native speaker of the target language (at least for languages which native speakers are in the project)/

I wrote my post in assumption that greye is a native russian speaker (ofc, i am not sure on that and i asked him, hope he will answer), so we can discuss some problems in his translation.
greye

Post by greye »

As discussion grows too cyrillic, have sent PM. To answer last public question: I'm native russian speaker.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

lazydev wrote:I dont understand your sarcasm, Tarius.
I mean to say that you give yourself far too little credit for your ability.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

I was thinking, how bout doing a translation of the FAQ video? Do you have a transcript at hand, WeirdSexy?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

HiPhish wrote:I was thinking, how bout doing a translation of the FAQ video? Do you have a transcript at hand, WeirdSexy?
FAQ #1 Captions - English
nnayo

Post by nnayo »

here is the first version of the french translation: