OpenMW 0.21.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.21.0

Post by Zini »

<Bug #354>True flickering lights
I’ll mention this because it’s a visible change (which we are short on)
We had that feature before, but it was not working properly. Lights were flickering way too fast in some cases.
<Feature #39>Video Playback
Allows use to view all in-game cutscenes? What about the splash animations and video that loads behind the main menu when you start-up original Morrowind?
We can play videos now via scripts. Any video. The startup video does not play automatically, but if you want you can play it from the console.
What else should I mention directly? I mean aside from “numerous other bug fixes and engine improvements that make this release more stable, faster, and playable”.
The ^-escape sequences are pretty obvious. You can see them in message boxes and NPC dialogues.

The performance improvements focus on loading this time (both initial and during cell changes). The difference is pretty notable (apparently more so on Windows than on other systems) and deserves a separate mentioning.

Other than that we don't really have anything to show for this time.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@corristo: Any news on the OS X buiild?
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

I guess the work of blutned2night and Chris, with the help of many others and although unfinished, is also worth mentioning.

Oh and of course the complete rewrite of the movement script by nopoe of, who won't be able to do much more work now with school started again.
corristo

Post by corristo »

@Zini
Working on it. Finally got some progress — now it crashes in ffmpeg_decoder destructor instead of error message spam.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay. Let's give it a couple more days. If everything fails, we can release the OS X version without video support.

I would still like to get those build fixes merged in as soon as possible.
corristo

Post by corristo »

@Zini
Sorry for delay, but looks like current master builds without any modifications
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

corristo wrote:@Zini
Sorry for delay, but looks like current master builds without any modifications
It compiles, ship it! :p
corristo

Post by corristo »

Sounds play fine, thanks Chris & blunted2night and for that, used one line from this to explicitly specify required sample format: https://github.com/corristo/openmw/tree ... -sound-fix

One issue remains: no sound in videos, it complains again on sample format:

Code: Select all

Sound Error: Unsupported sample format: flt
Chris advised that using OpenAL software mode should solve the issue, but currently sound device can be specified only in config (not tried yet though).
Chris

Post by Chris »

corristo wrote:Chris advised that using OpenAL software mode should solve the issue
Actually what I meant was using OpenAL Soft. I was being partly facetious since it's one of my other projects :P (though it would solve the issue, and some others we could run into with Apple's OpenAL; quite a few people have switched to use OpenAL Soft on OSX). A more appropriate fix is to convert sample formats when we're given one the sound system doesn't support.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Thanks for the clarification.

So I think we can ship Mac version without sound in video, mention it in known issues, and implement sample format conversion in future version.

@Chris: so, as far as I see you considered forcing s16 sample format in that commit/my branch safe, I can make pull request to Zini? Or someone on Linux/Windows should test this first?