OpenMW Performance

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Myckel

Re: OpenMW Performance

Post by Myckel »

Do people also see a huge performance loss in current git?

<edit>
Never mind, switching the shaders option a few times seems to have fixed it.
</edit>
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

veepee wrote:Speaking of Phoronix, afaik the Phoronix test suite is free to use in a project like this? I've never used it and i think it might be slightly beyond my skills, but possibly someone else could set up an automated environment for future performance testing?

Possibly Michael Larabel might even be interested enough in this project that he'd do some testing himself?
That would require a set of free assets to run the game since we can't expect the testers to have Morrowind's data.
*Nudges Greendogo about the demo cell*
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

yeah yeah, I know I know. :D
wry

Post by wry »

BrotherBrick wrote:
Myckel wrote:Nope, these days the FOSS drivers are quite good (I've used games which require more graphic power than OpenMW, and they run fine). They should hold up for something like this.
You've been reading too much phoronix. ;) My results are based on amd's and nvidia's binary blob. The intel result is the only one that is FOSS. If I used foss for amd and nvidia, I get about a 80% drop in performance. You be the judge.
I use the FOSS drivers and they work fine. I'm on a dual core 64 bit AMD netbook.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

wry wrote:I use the FOSS drivers and they work fine. I'm on a dual core 64 bit AMD netbook.
Working fine, for me, means that OpenMW runs. What are your framerates with default options in interior and exterior? For AMD blob on laptop Radeon 3640: 100fps / 40fps though I should probably remeasure since shiny and the rest have entered the equation.
corristo

Post by corristo »

HiPhish wrote:I get ≤30 FPS outdoors and indoors on my early 2009 iMac (2.66GHz Core2Duo, Nvidia 9400M, 4GB RAM), no reflections, lowest view distance and any graphics filtering. This would be playable enough, but unfortunately it slows the cursor down as well, making menus rather tedious. The biggest performance hugs are reflections (just turning reflections on without the other ubsettings eats ~10FPS) .When I first tried OpenMW 0.16 it was raining, which dragged performance down even more.
I know why input is so laggy on Mac. Main loop in Ogre implemented weirdly on OS X. It pumps only one message per frame, so if framerate is low, message queue grows. I implemented correct loop while trying to use Cocoa instead of obsolete Carbon, and input became significantly more responsive.

compare Windows, Linux & OS X versions here: https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src/3 ... .cpp#cl-47

I'll try to implement this loop with Carbon, since I have some serious problems in my Cocoa port.
Kiesel

Post by Kiesel »

By the 1.0 release, can we expect OpenMW to get as good of framerates as original Morrowind? Or even better, since it uses the graphics card and MW originally only used the processor?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

well somebody needs to say it:

Certainly not on the 2002 like hardware, in fact OpenMW needs to be optimized a lot but it seems that It won't happen any time soon. :(
Kiesel

Post by Kiesel »

Oh well, I just tried OpenMW and Morrowind on the same system, and it runs at least as well, and without the graphic screwups Morrowind causes on this card. That's something to be proud of.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Way better then I thought. Here OpenMW runs ok, unless you go outside...