[Research Request] God mode

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
WeirdSexy

Re: [Research Request] God mode

Post by WeirdSexy »

Before I wiki this stuff, I'll leave it here for anyone to add to or dispute.

With God Mode enabled, the following items affect the player:
  • Dynamic stats (Health, Magicka, Fatigue) are unaffected by normal actions. They may still be affected by scripts.
  • 100% chance to cast any spell regardless of fatigue, magicka, skill, willpower, or luck, which are the normal parameters relevant for calculating chance to cast.
  • Normal (non-Scripted) magic not originating from the player does not affect the player. Offensive magic is still registered when it hits the player, meaning that the appropriate icons in the HUD and menus should be displayed. The player's own magic may still be reflected back upon them.
  • The player may use enchanted items regardless of the item's remaining charge. The item's charge is unaffected by use.
  • The player cannot drown. The breath bar still appears underwater, it still indicates a loss of breath with continued submersion, and still flashes red when the player's breath has been depleted. However, no health is lost after the player begins to "drown" and the player may remain submerged indefinitely without dying.
  • No fall damage is taken.
  • No damage is taken from contact with lava.
  • Weapons and armor do not degrade with use as they normally would.
  • When the player is a vampire, sun damage is still taken and the player will eventually be killed. However, the red blurring around the screen edges does not occur and damage taken is not reflected by the HUD.
Important (perhaps) items that seem to be unaffected:
  • Scripted events
  • Attack, the chance to successfully hit an opponent with melee/ranged attacks
  • Sanctuary, the chance to be hit by physical attacks. The player is still hit with melee/ranged attacks even though no damage is taken
  • Tools (they are still used up)
  • Alchemy
  • Enchanting
  • Bartering
  • Persuasion
  • Sneaking
  • Racial powers may still only be cast once per day.
  • Chance to contract disease
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I'm wonder If we can implement real god mode that won't be effected by reflected spells. We can call it Zini mode (tzm).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Isn't tgm just a debugging tool? In that case it wouldn't matter if we don't have it 100% correct.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Good point.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

So what do we want to do?

I think it sort of makes sense to not allow your own spells to hurt you via reflection. The way I see it, you opponents reflect magic shouldn't be effective anyway. I am also in favor of not letting vampires die by sun damage. I do not think that was intentional on Bethesda's part. Sun Damage isn't a scripted spell effect is it?

Any other things you guys might want different? (tools not getting used up, etc)
Zini

Post by Zini »

If we don't copy the original exactly, we can as well go for the most simple solution, which would be to eliminate all non-scripted damage completely.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Instead of disabling damage, why not just disable the rule "When you have <= 0 Health, you die". That way you can still test out scripts that deal damage to you, and also do runs through your mod to gauge difficulty, all without dying, and all while seeing how much damage you're receiving.

This provides you more debugging information, for the purposes of improving a mod, than does disabling damage to the player all together.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I like the idea (especially since that is what we are already doing; would only require to add a switch). @scrawl: Thanks for reminding us that god mode is only a debugging tool and that we are not required to replicate it accurately. Somehow I completely missed that point.

So, does anyone see any problems with this proposal?
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

Zini wrote:I like the idea (especially since that is what we are already doing; would only require to add a switch). @scrawl: Thanks for reminding us that god mode is only a debugging tool and that we are not required to replicate it accurately. Somehow I completely missed that point.

So, does anyone see any problems with this proposal?
Some mods, including my own, do use god mode for gameplay purposes. Tgm may be good for a temporary scripted invincibility spell (once we can have custom water, I can have invincibility power-ups which allow you to swim in acidic water). Maybe using workarounds could achieve the same effect but could risk killing the player if they do not have enough health.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not sure if we should support the use of debug instructions in mods. Unless this proves to be wide spread I kinda tend to not doing it.

In this case an easy workaround would be to repeatedly apply a big heal or restore the player's health otherwise during the invulnerability phase. And after OpenMW 1.0 we can easily add a regular magic effect, that makes the player (or any other actor) properly invulnerable.