Morrowind Equations

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
HiPhish

Re: Morrowind Equations

Post by HiPhish »

OK, then I guess I'll tackle Acrobatics. Is there a thread for the task? How would I go about collecting data points? I guess I need to make a character and then use the console to set attributes one by one and see what happens. How do I know which ones are relevant? I know that Strength matter and that personality is probably unrelated, but what about for example Speed, Endurance, Agility or Willpower. How do I know all the things affected by Arcobatics? How do I measure the effects?

I'm probably asking too many questions, but I want to get this right instead of wasting an hour or so only to find out I did something useless :oops:

EDIT: Does it matter if I use Wine or native Morrowind? Native has better performance but Wine is on my main OS.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We don't know for sure what exactly affects skills, so you need to check it all. I think there are a few threads in our forum where people already started on the task, but didn't finish it. There is probably still a lot of useful material in there. I don't have the links at hand right now, but maybe someone else does.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Unfortunately there is nothing Acrobatics-rrelated. That's fine though, I'll just make my character have average (50) skills and attributes and then pick one and crank it all the way up and down and see if something changes. If nothing happens then that skill/attribute is irrelevant. According to the UESP Acrobatics affects running speed, jump height, jump distance and how steep the slops can be you can climb. There are also two numbers noted to the right, Fall +3.0 and Jump +0.15 and it says Specialization Stealth. What does that mean?

Should I create a new topic for the Acrobatics task? Also, what does GMST stand for? I keep reading it all the time.
Zini

Post by Zini »

There are also two numbers noted to the right, Fall +3.0 and Jump +0.15 and it says Specialization Stealth. What does that mean?
I think these are related to the skill gain mechanics. You don't need to bother with that.
Should I create a new topic for the Acrobatics task?
That is a good idea.
Also, what does GMST stand for? I keep reading it all the time.
Game setting record. Basically, a named constant.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

OK, I'll start reading up on information first, then I'll make a new topic. I hope I can start collecting numbers by the end of the week.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I did some work on Athletics a few weeks ago, I need to post the information I've got. What's probably more important is to upload my test environment so others can compare with my results and add to the results I already have so we can get a clearer picture of the Athletics formula. But I'm going to the zoo now.... so. yeah. :D
modred11

Post by modred11 »

I think I've figured out the movement formula

Code: Select all

velocity = (race's weight * 100) + speed 

velocity -= ((carry / lift) * (0.3 * velocity ))

if running:
	velocity *= 1.75 + athletics/100
Race's weight ranges from 0.5 to 2.0, it's set in the Construction Set per-gender,
Speed is your attribute,
Carry is the weight of the object's you're carying,
Lift is your encumbrance (the formula for which is 5 * strength I think),

the constants are presumably GMSTs, I don't know their names though.
This is for vanilla Morrowind (without bloodmoon or tribunal).

This is only moving forward, your speed varies if your move backwards/sideways/diagonally/crouch/swim. Also Sandstorms effect speed (they give you a penalty if you move against them and a bonus if you move with them). Also when you're in 3rd person mode your velocity bobs up and down to match the animation.

And this is only maximum speed, I don't know how acceleration / deceleration works.

I've done a lot of testing, but there's a big potential problem, I used the console's TDT command to show the velocity on the screen and figured it out using that, but if that velocity isn't accurate then this formula could be completely wrong / irrelevant. I did one basic test using player->getPos and manually timing movement for 10 seconds & Pythagorean theoreteming the points, it looks like TDT's velocity translates to units / second, but I should test that more.

edit:

also if you're carry gets over your lift (you're encumbered) you can't move... I imagine people already know this, but to be thorough I wanted to note it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

If you're right about the movement formulas, then they should stack up to my in-game measurements.

I've taken the liberty of running many timed trials on a present course of 50 statics approximately 256 game units across each (to cut down on error). Basically, I would run this course and time myself until I would get to the end. I adjusted weight, speed and athletics to try and find the formulas, however I did this several weeks ago and I ran out of time and never came back to it. So I'm going to drop my results and my testing environment here for all to look at and fiddle with.

Link to the results on Google Docs

Link to the test environment.
Link to useful mod for adjusting skills and attributes on the fly.
After downloading both plugins, activate them and start a new game. Go to the right, next to the door out of the Census and Excise office in Seyda Neen. You may use the Qube to adjust your stats or to get items to weigh you down. You can put unwanted stuff into the chest behind the starting rug. In order to do a timed race, get a stop-watch ready and click on the rug (it's really a door that will reset your view to directly down the hall), and then when you're ready, push autorun (Q by default) and start the timer at the same time. When you get to the end stop the timer right when you hit the door. Entering the door at the end will reset your view to the starting line.
Myckel

Post by Myckel »

@modred, great! Could you make some changes (one at a time) in CS and see if your formula holds.

Also, one thing is to find out where this 0.3 and 1.75 comes from.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@modred11: I think you meant the Height of the races, not their weight. Opening the CS, I see that races have both, but I believe only one of them changes your speed. I'll check that out and report back.

Edit: Wow, so height has nothing to do with speed. This is against everything I've been taught about speed in MW over the years. The higher the race's weight is, the higher their speed. That's really weird.