Unable to train - any ideas?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
OldGamer

Unable to train - any ideas?

Post by OldGamer »

I recently installed OpenMW. Morrowind was my favorite game for years after it came out, but I haven't played it in probably 15 years. Anyway, I'm having a problem. I'm trying to train Speechcraft with Caius Cosades. My speechcraft is 35 and my Personality is 55. However, when I try to train with him it says, "can't train above governing attribute".

Does anyone know why this might be? I figure I must be missing something obvious, but I can't figure out what it is. I have plenty of money, and I think he's a 70 level trainer.

Sorry if this isn't the correct forum - I'm new to OpenMW and this forum.
LoneWolf

Re: Unable to train - any ideas?

Post by LoneWolf »

Is part of those 55 coming from a birthsign ability (probably Lady's Favor) ?

Morrowind handles artifacts with fortify attribute the same as openmw , but for birthsign abilities openmw does things differently .

birthsign abilities that increase attributes (like those from The Lady and The Steed) don't count for training in openmw .

See [1] for a (long) discussion about this topic.

There is a mod[2] that changes this, but I think it only works upon character creation so for a new game.

[1] viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5081
[2] https://modding-openmw.com/mods/vanilla ... by-klorax/
OldGamer

Post by OldGamer »

I read through the long post [1] you linked to as well as the older thread that was referenced there but I had a little difficulty understanding the discussion. I think the issue is that I played Morrowind quite a bit (probably put 2,000-4,000 hours into it) so I had a thorough understanding of the game then, but since I haven't played it in close to 15 years my memories are vague. If I remember correctly, I always chose The Lady birthsign to max my health gain each level. The way I understand it is that OpenMW breaks this and does not include the Endurance bonus during levelling for health increases. It also breaks the training for skills governed by Endurance and Personality. Is that correct? I'm not trying to re-hash the discussion from the long thread, I just want to make sure I understand correctly.

I already am far enough in that I don't want to re-start if I don't have to, but it sounds like that's my only option if I want to re-play the original.

My goal is to play as close to the original game with updated graphics as possible, and I thought that OpenMW was the best way to do that. Is my best option to just uninstall OpenMW and start over to play with the original game?
ezze

Post by ezze »

If the behavior of the Lady matters so much for you, why not just install the mod that replicates it?
OldGamer

Post by OldGamer »

ezze wrote: 18 May 2021, 21:16 If the behavior of the Lady matters so much for you, why not just install the mod that replicates it?
I may do that, but I haven't yet for three reasons.

First LoneWolf said he thought that I would need to restart the game and I have quite a few hours into it already. I'd rather not re-do that work. If it was as simple as installing a single mod then I'd do that.

Second, I'm now very gunshy about continuing with OpenMW - if something as fundamental as character creation is changed then what else has changed? I started a second thread with a question about whether or not there is a list of other changes to the core elements of the game. I thought about including that question here, but I think it's a very different question - this was about how to train in game (and that's been answered), that question is about differences between OpenMW and original patched Morrowind.

Third, the reason I went with OpenMW was that I hate dealing with mods. If I just need one mod to get back to the original developer's intent I'll do that, but I had hoped to avoid messing with mods beyond just running OpenMW. OpenMW looked like a simple solution for what I was looking for, which is recreating the original patched game on an updated platform.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We don't patch the game content, so you've still got loads and loads of bugs from that which you'll want to fix with something like Patch for Purists anyway. However, one of the main goals of OpenMW is to make using mods easier. For example, we've got a system where each mod can go in its own directory so you can easily add, remove, and change mods with next to no hassle instead of throwing everything into one directory like you're forced to with the original engine. It's really nothing to be scared of and a simple list like https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla/ should add a lot of polish to the game while also being less work than fighting your way through the bugs it'll save you from would have been if you didn't install it.

By the way, it's not really worth considering original developer's intent with Morrowind as there were lots of people working on it with strong personalities who often disagreed with each other and tried pulling the project in different directions. What one of them loved might have been hated by another.
OldGamer

Post by OldGamer »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 18 May 2021, 23:13 We don't patch the game content, so you've still got loads and loads of bugs from that which you'll want to fix with something like Patch for Purists anyway. However, one of the main goals of OpenMW is to make using mods easier. For example, we've got a system where each mod can go in its own directory so you can easily add, remove, and change mods with next to no hassle instead of throwing everything into one directory like you're forced to with the original engine. It's really nothing to be scared of and a simple list like https://modding-openmw.com/lists/i-heart-vanilla/ should add a lot of polish to the game while also being less work than fighting your way through the bugs it'll save you from would have been if you didn't install it.

By the way, it's not really worth considering original developer's intent with Morrowind as there were lots of people working on it with strong personalities who often disagreed with each other and tried pulling the project in different directions. What one of them loved might have been hated by another.
Thank you, AnyOldName3. I really appreciate the team's efforts to revitalize one of my favorite old games. I'm not concerned about the technical aspects of mods - I played with them on Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. The issue is that I just hate taking the time to read about them, investigate which I want to install, worry about which my hardware can handle, etc. I'm too old for that kind of effort. I'm at a point where I just want to start up a game and play. I'll look for that patch you recommended, but now I'm up to 2 mods I need to install and I'm just not willing to research what other ones I might need.

And maybe it's not their original intent, but rather my interest in re-playing an old favorite I haven't seen in too long. I put in enormous numbers of hours into Morrowind back in the day, and I'd like to recreate that old experience. I guess I need to get over the idea that it's going to actually be just like the old Morrowind without as many bugs or the need to research mods.
Bashlakh

Post by Bashlakh »

Sorry to necro this thread, but I'm experiencing this issue when trying to train the Spear skill from Flaenia Amiulusus (who has a cap at 44 Spear). My character is a Breton with Atronach, having a custom class (Magic spec; Intelligence+Willpower favored; Spear as a major skill), with Endurance at 30 and Spear at 31. When I try to train Spear at the said trainer, I'm getting the "You cannot train a skill above its governing attribute" message as expected - it can't be raised to 32 when Endurance is 30. What's not expected is that when I use Fortitude spell to temporarily fortify Endurance 10 pts for 60 secs on Self (having it at 40 afterwards), I'm still getting that message when I try to train. Is there any workaround/fix for this?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Probably nothing you can do on your own, this logic is handled by C++. This detail hasn't been given as much thought as it should have because it was an unilateral addition at the time. I'm filing an issue and submitting a correction shortly, you should be able to expect it in some future development build and then .49 stable release.
Bashlakh

Post by Bashlakh »

Awesome, looking forward to it. Thanks!