openmw is good

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Alyen91

openmw is good

Post by Alyen91 »

I started editing Bedsheda games when I was a boy. my first was just oblivion. years later I tried skyrim. getting the result I wanted but the game with 200 mods kept crashing the mods were constantly conflicting with each other and I didn't have enough modding experience to understand what the problem was. your engine is great. the mods are subdivided and if one comes into conflict with another the engine itself automatically excludes the conflict. I just wanted to thank you. you did what original game programmers with years of experience could never solve.

screen with activated lighting mod...

shader mod of the sea water...
Seldalore

Re: openmw is good

Post by Seldalore »

I'm glad others see the value in this project as I do! I cannot go back to the original, no matter the *current* sacrifices, mod-wise. Loving OpenMW!
ezze

Post by ezze »

Personally I find harsh to think to the sacrifices one needs to do to use the original engine: patches, external programs, instability, all-mods-in-one-directory... The only real sacrifice OpenMW requires is to be careful to use the unreleased version for distant land is too good.

So, the statement "openmw is good" is definitely true.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

We'll fix that unreleased bit soon...
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Well not being able to use LUA mods is quite a sacrifice ATM.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

darkbasic wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 11:43 Well not being able to use LUA mods is quite a sacrifice ATM.
Yeah... you see tes3mp had Lua for awhile, even before mwse-lua existed. So technically, OpenMW (even if a fork with intention of being merged) had Lua already. I think perhaps you need to clarify mwse-Lua instead.

Fun fact, Lua not LUA. Lua is not an acronym.
ezze

Post by ezze »

The real problem I see if how all this variants are fracturing the community. I am happy to see that at least OpenMW is trying to heal the split between tes3mp and OpenMW.

Little trivia, I think that Lua means moon and it has been chosen because another programming language was called Sol.
lysol

Post by lysol »

ezze wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 07:34 The real problem I see if how all this variants are fracturing the community.
Sure, this is true. But there really isn't any other way. OpenMW cannot support MWSE-Lua in a good way as far as I've understood it, so the only reasonable way is to make our own implementation of Lua scripting. It will fracture the community in the short term, but hopefully it will be worth it in the end.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Depends on what you mean by fracturing, tes3mp matured on its own merits and there wasn't any rift between tes3mp which is a long living branch that closely tracked openmw. The idea being that in long-term it would get merged into openmw. So I don't see any 'healing' needing here. The fracture seems to be mwse-lua and openmw-lua (based on experience gained from tes3mp) which will be structurally different.

It was indicated though that NullCascade would be willing to work with OpenMW to deprecate some features and create abstractions that could be used as well in OpenMW so that eventually mods, provided they stick to these abstractions, would work on both mwse-lua and openmw-lua. Anything engine specific however would be exclusive to their Implementation however.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

psi29a wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 14:03 It was indicated though that NullCascade would be willing to work with OpenMW to deprecate some features and create abstractions that could be used as well in OpenMW so that eventually mods, provided they stick to these abstractions, would work on both mwse-lua and openmw-lua. Anything engine specific however would be exclusive to their Implementation however.
Huh? Didn't know of that. Sounds interesting and could be a good compromise to satisfy everyone. -- Although that approach would impose some extra requirements on modders, and given that the average modder is not a programmer, many could simply ignore it... We will see.