GUI Scale increase failure

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mercyRPG

GUI Scale increase failure

Post by mercyRPG »

I tried this in 1280x1024 res in GOTY:
Read in the docs that
[GUI]
scaling factor = 1.5
can be modified. I expected the very first dialogue box window + fonts to increase dramatically (just as i select parts of the image with a marquee and upscale it in a graphics editor), so its way more pleasing to the eye. But Alas, no matter how much I changed the CFG (edited the default CFG, then renamed it to settings CFG) and set font to max 20 (docs), the welcoming first dialogue with the prisoner on the ship remains the same default sized window with the same sized fonts. I guess 1.0?

I also installed script extender and MGE_XE. The terrain changes + graphics features are working, EXCEPT the UI always remains the same..

Apparently this worked for others, but not for me, WHY????
https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenMW/comment ... aling_gui/
AnyOldName3

Re: GUI Scale increase failure

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The script extender and MGE XE edit the original Morrowind engine, not OpenMW, so it's possible that if you're using those, you're just not using OpenMW at all and therefore OpenMW settings are irrelevant.

Another possibility is that you've edited completely the wrong files because you've read the wrong things somehow. You should:
  • Look at https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest ... paths.html to see where settings.cfg lives.
  • Delete any other settings.cfg files you've created in other locations, as they're likely to trip you up if you find them again in the future.
  • Put settings-default.cfg back to how it started, for example by reinstalling OpenMW.
  • Never edit settings-default.cfg again. If you get tempted to ignore this, read the sentence at the top of the file telling you not to edit it ever, and then decide not to edit it again.
  • Make all future settings changes in the settings.cfg file that exists where the paths documentation linked above says it should.
mercyRPG

Post by mercyRPG »

Edited
c:\Users\..\Documents\My Games\OpenMW\settings.cfg

Now it finally works! THANK YOU!!!!!
mercyRPG

Post by mercyRPG »

Turns out the framerate at 1280 x 1024 is horrible. Laggy.
At the same time, installing MWE EX with land + shader enhancements, the framerate is super high.

Gonna avoid OpenMW for now. :)