Absolutely stellar work on 0.47.0

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Candiety

Re: Absolutely stellar work on 0.47.0

Post by Candiety »

Came to say this too; you've implimented a fair few of the things I was most interested in. Distant objects... grass!!! Well done.
ghales

Post by ghales »

I agree with everyone else. Congratulations on a great release. It’s been solid as a rock. I love the new NPC collision avoidance; it makes moving in tight spaces much less annoying. The extended view distance is also amazing. Even on my middling system, I get a steady 60 FPS everywhere (I use vsync). And the new light system is beautiful; all the seams are gone.

The path-finding is also much improved and is close to perfect. I am at day 43 in-game and I have only found one glitch. The skeleton outside of Omaren tomb, east of Sadrith Mora, is stuck in the doorway where he spawns. See the screenshots:
stuck1.jpg
stuck2.jpg
There is also a regression of the Corprus Cure, again. I got my character cured right away, so the drained attributes were fully restored, as they should be, but STR and END were also set back to their previous values (of 100 for END). In Morrowind, the player keeps the one-point buf until they are drained/damaged.

Finally, I noticed something weird. After finishing Azura’s quest, I watched my character in third person while Azura was thanking her, and her lips were moving in time to Azura’s speech. :lol:

OpenMW just keeps getting better and better. Outstanding work, everyone.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

ghales wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 00:28 There is also a regression of the Corprus Cure, again. I got my character cured right away, so the drained attributes were fully restored, as they should be, but STR and END were also set back to their previous values (of 100 for END). In Morrowind, the player keeps the one-point buf until they are drained/damaged.
As long as there's a way to make that one point buff go away, I suppose I could live with this being changed. However, I think it would be unfixable due to the fact that restore spells actually work on fortified attributes in OpenMW, and I don't actually want that random extra point of STR and END. It looks weird on my character pane and gets on my nerves in general, because it shouldn't be there. All of which is to say, please don't "fix" this. I think the vanilla effect is a result of a buggy implementation of Fortify Attribute anyway.
ghales wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 00:28 Finally, I noticed something weird. After finishing Azura’s quest, I watched my character in third person while Azura was thanking her, and her lips were moving in time to Azura’s speech. :lol:
I wouldn't even call that a bug, per se. It's a result of how the speech is implemented. Basically, your character is "lip syncing" the speech because in terms of actual implementation, your character is actually the one speaking, so mouth movements get added automatically.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Note that this used not to be the case because 2D voiceover wouldn't have had loudness data analyzed before as late as .46.
Mantar

Post by Mantar »

Jemolk wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 23:14 I wouldn't even call that a bug, per se. It's a result of how the speech is implemented.
Does it do that in vanilla Morrowind?
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Jemolk wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 23:14 As long as there's a way to make that one point buff go away, I suppose I could live with this being changed. However, I think it would be unfixable due to the fact that restore spells actually work on fortified attributes in OpenMW, and I don't actually want that random extra point of STR and END. It looks weird on my character pane and gets on my nerves in general, because it shouldn't be there. All of which is to say, please don't "fix" this. I think the vanilla effect is a result of a buggy implementation of Fortify Attribute anyway.
I think all of these longstanding issues related to drained/damaged/restored attributes are going to be addressed in 0.48 (at least that was my recollection from scanning git issues a while ago), but for this issue, I strongly agree with Jemolk that parroting the vanilla behavior re: the lingering extra point buff wouldn't be ideal.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Mantar wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 17:59
Jemolk wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 23:14 I wouldn't even call that a bug, per se. It's a result of how the speech is implemented.
Does it do that in vanilla Morrowind?
That's what I meant, yes. It absolutely does.