Absolutely stellar work on 0.47.0

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Dellp6

Absolutely stellar work on 0.47.0

Post by Dellp6 »

I've been playing a new save in Tamriel Rebuilt over the last few days on the newest nightly and I just have to say WOW. The new object paging allows grass mods to work flawlessly and the new LOD system expanding the draw distance is such a better implementation than in MGE. No insane pop in like MGE LOD and it generates itself as you move around the world. And best of all it runs so well even at 5 cells draw distance (without shadows). I'm currently running 273 mods and have experienced no issues.

I just have to say thank you to the OpenMW team for their outstanding work. 0.47 is shaping up to be the most exciting release yet from an end user perspective.
Seldalore

Re: Absolutely stellar work on 0.47.0

Post by Seldalore »

Promising!
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

100% agree! There are still known issues with optional active grid object paging (e.g. disappearing textures including walls near the fort in Pelagiad), but this release further establishes OpenMW as superior to vanilla Morrowind with ancient hacky workarounds such as MGE. Kudos to all developers!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Thank you so much for the kind words. It helps drive the project onward. :)
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

I haven't booted it up in over a year :(. I Moved and when I finally got my PC put back together I moved on to other things. This reaaaally makes me want to boot it back up though. Plus I just put together a new PC so I can't even imagine where the bottleneck will be at this point.
Mole

Post by Mole »

I started my OpenMW journey with 0.46.0 playing MW for the first time ever a few days ago, but for some reason, I was getting very inconsistent performance with lag and frame drops everywhere, had to downgrade all the settings so that it looked and played like vanilla, which isn't a bad thing as it was so fun that these were only minor annoyances.

I downloaded 0.47.0 today and was completely blown away, I was able to crank everything up to max with all the bells and whistles turned on too, and get stable 59-60 fps even in places where it would sinusoid from 30-60 every few seconds! Plays great, and looks wonderful!
I have no idea what the OpenMW team did between the two versions as I'm no programmer, but EXCELLENT job!
Thanks for all your hard work, and letting a new-comer/outlander experience MW like this!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Now that's great to hear!

Mind sharing your specs? :)
MichalPuchovsky

Post by MichalPuchovsky »

I must confirm that OpenMW 0.47 performs much better on my 5 years old notebook than MW with MGE XE (crashfest every 5 minutes with 100 plugins and another 40 Mswe plugins without any big graphic replacer) and Open MW 0.46 (big lags in Seyda Neen).

Now I have installed 150 plugins (selection of mods from Expanded vanilla module + Alternative to Morrowind Rebirth by RandomPal) with Morrowind Enhaced Textures and so far no stuttering.

Good work, I can finally play Morrowind :)
trueshot

Post by trueshot »

Also 100% agree. I haven't played Morrowind in about 10 years and back then I went with MGE (the 1st iteration), which was great for its time but had its own basket of issues. I honestly did not have high expectations for OpenMW these days, because the last time I researched it was also over 10 years ago and it was rough around the edges back then. I suppose it didn't occur to me that this project was being actively developed and perfected since the last time I had that urge to scratch the itch so to say.

Suffice it to say the openMW team has knocked it out of the park. This is truly an across-the-board enhancement and improvement. Performance, AI, UI/UX (the font, it is beautiful), and of course graphical fidelity are all vastly improved. I've found some kinks here and there (mostly with combat AI and path-finding) but none of them game-breaking in any way, and still an upgrade over the vanilla engine's issues.

I'm currently deep into a play-through with Rebirth and a few other mods, indulging in nostalgia but not in the traditional sense w.r.t gaming because OpenMW really improves over vanilla and imo MGEXE as well. I have distant land pumped up all the way (with 0.47) and it is remarkable how the game is completely, totally playable. City FPS is low but that's bearable. Morrowind with performant distant land is really not the same game; it being notorious for those detailed "directions" in quest dialogue because players can not actually see where they need to go; distant cells, even adjacent ones being all fogged out. It's game-changing being able to see terrain across ~1/3* of the island. It is also spectacular graphically, and really brings out the disparate biomes in a way that was not possible when the game was released. And to be perfectly clear, 10 cell distant land is not practical with MGXE because of performance limitations. I tried. OpenMW definitely runs better (in Linux at least). And all those strange engine bugs being natively fixed without a cocktail of mods is welcoming. Finally, being able to clearly read the boatload of text the game has with perfectly crisp font is wonderful.

Thanks to the OpenMW team for letting me replay this classic in style.
Last edited by trueshot on 11 Sep 2021, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
sam642

Post by sam642 »

Just like everyone's been saying, I'm really impressed by the performance of this release, haven't been able to crank up the graphics settings to max on my desktop yet but can average 60fps with decent medium settings on my laptop which has an entry level Radeon RX Vega 3.
Well done and thanks, I just wish I had enough time to play/make mods it as much as I'd like! :D