How to run away from enemies?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
wirtual82

How to run away from enemies?

Post by wirtual82 »

It seems that I cannot run from enemies anymore. It's frustrating. 10 enemies will run after me, attack me through the whole game. I can't lose them at all. It's game breaking because I am weaker and it's a game over. They will spot me from far away, stick to me for the rest of the game. It's unplayable!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: How to run away from enemies?

Post by psi29a »

Try to get out of their line of sight and hide. As of 0.45 (or 0.46?) we have navmesh navigation which allows for enemies to not be stupid and work around obstacles. So what was happening in the original game is that they would just get stuck running into a wall trying to get directly to you. Now... they will do their best to murder you. :lol:

No other changes have been made though to how the AI packages work though, that is all content (original Morowind).

Perhaps there is something else going on?
wirtual82

Post by wirtual82 »

0.46. If the enemy spots you, 10 of them, they will run after you for the whole game. Stronger enemies will kill you. Game over.

In Skyrim, for instance, you can run away if you are fast enough.
Mantar

Post by Mantar »

Step through a door between cells, drink an invis potion, summon something and get them to attack it while you scarper, levitate/jump somewhere they can't follow and move out of LOS. There are options.
Enemies in Morrowind are pretty stubborn about chasing you, though.
wirtual82

Post by wirtual82 »

I went to jail and they were still waiting for me. I went to a pub and when I came out, the hit me in the face. It's a horror. Just unplayable.
Husaco

Post by Husaco »

What mods do you have installed? Enemies will chase you to the ends of the earth, but they can't follow you if you teleport or take transport. You should be able to outrun and lose most enemies running. Guards should help you kill creatures that come into town. And most enemies should be manageable on their own and in small groups anyway (and you're only going to encounter larger groups outside on Solstheim and maybe some Ashlander camps). If your experience sounds much different from this, you probably have some mod installed making the game harder.
wirtual82

Post by wirtual82 »

Husaco wrote: 04 Aug 2020, 00:44 What mods do you have installed? Enemies will chase you to the ends of the earth, but they can't follow you if you teleport or take transport. If your experience sounds much different from this, you probably have some mod installed making the game harder.
I turned off all mods and made a few tests, in fact.

1. Original game. No mods. I am able to outrun enemies and lose them pretty quickly. Well, except for the guards, maybe. Going into a pub and waiting won't get rid of them etc.

2. OpenMW 0.46. No other mods. I am able to outrun enemies, but you cannot hide from them. I can basically outrun an NPC, then hide behind a hill and he should always find you anyway. As if they saw you through the walls etc.

3. Many mods, OpenMW 0.46. There are many more enemies. I cannot outrun or hide from enemies at all.

Still, there should be some mod that fixes that. If I outrun an NPC (because of a character skill), then he stops chasing me. There are hundreds of different new mods, but no mod that would fix it. Probably because in the original game, you can easily lose an enemy.
Dyskos

Post by Dyskos »

wirtual82 wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 21:31Just unplayable.
Huh, then I wonder what I've been doing for the last 6 years. :lol:
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Try disabling the navigator , https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable ... gator.html .

I'm wondering if there may be something else going on.

If the enemies were creatures guards should attack them, so your chasers must be npcs .
How do you get so many enemies to chase you and which type of npcs are they ?
wirtual82

Post by wirtual82 »

LoneWolf wrote: 05 Aug 2020, 13:15 Try disabling the navigator , https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable ... gator.html .

I'm wondering if there may be something else going on.

If the enemies were creatures guards should attack them, so your chasers must be npcs .
How do you get so many enemies to chase you and which type of npcs are they ?
If I disable it, it might be easier to lose some enemies. But it is generally the same. The only solution would be to make them stop chasing you from a particular distance and make them come back to their place where they should be.

This is not connected to the navigator, but the game itself. Which needs some kind of another fix.

I disabled navigator, and still, the only way to escape from an NPC was closing a Balmora gate before him. But he would wait for me there till the end of the game (stuck in the wall). Enemies most often cannot switch off in this game.

Morrowind Rebirth and Morrowind Comes Alive mods add a lot of new enemies, but I also tested this without any mods.

I will play standard vanilla game to see a difference.