Graphics improvement over the original Morrowind?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
ezzetabi

Graphics improvement over the original Morrowind?

Post by ezzetabi »

I was watching the 0.14 screenshots and they do not look as the original Morrowind.
For example you can see much farther and the water has much more detailed reflections.

So I was wondering, what is the official OpenMW stand about graphics? Do you want to replicate Morrowind as good as possible or you feel free to change and improve?
hircine

Re: Graphics improvement over the original Morrowind?

Post by hircine »

at this moment, i don't think there is anything other than by hard coding (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the draw distance and how many items are displayed etc.

adjustable graphics settings will have to be implemented so that the game can be run on varied and lower performing hardware.

There is also the need to optimize all of the subsystems as frame rate is fairly bad with what we have already(not including animations!).

I think we should make it better, within reason. Current Water implementation is pretty good. Far better than the original and is fairly modern.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Our new graphics guru (scrawl) got a bit overexcited on some features and implemented stuff that was planned for post-1.0 releases. You can actually turn down the graphics settings (no GUI for that yet) and get something more close to the original MW. In general the idea is to have minimal settings that are similar to the graphics quality of the original game. Post 1.0 graphics with maximum settings can be as good as we have time and skill to implement them. No need to limit us to the original game.

As for the viewing distance, I think it is somewhat similar to the original game. Extending it a bit would be trivial (though that would mean having more stuff suddenly pop up in the distance). Extending it a lot more (possible without stuff popping up) wouldn't be much harder either, but don't expect anything but a slide show in this case. There is a lot more optimisation to do, before we can go substantially above the viewing distance of the original game. Definitely post-1.0 improvements too.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

topic moved
ZafotheNinja

Post by ZafotheNinja »

Oh no. Where did it move to?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

from offtopic to here.
ZafotheNinja

Post by ZafotheNinja »

Ah, then why has this topic stopped?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ZafotheNinja wrote:Ah, then why has this topic stopped?
The original question was answered.