Is OpenMW playable?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
RounIcarus

Is OpenMW playable?

Post by RounIcarus »

I saw on several development videos that several stages of development were missing whole swaths of content. Even as far as not having shadows and the like... Is this totally 100% playable or not?

Mostly playable isnt an answer, it would be like having a car with three wheels, 'its mostly drivable' either it is or it isnt... So what is it?
Azdul

Re: Is OpenMW playable?

Post by Azdul »

As I understand, latest nightly builds do have shadows, and are practically 100% complete, with minor bug here and there. On modern machines OpenMW is much more stable and less buggy than official Bethesda Morrowind engine. And it natively supports widescreen resolutions, while old Morrowind engine does not.

What is not complete is the editor. It still does not have all the features of official Bethesda Morrowind Construction Set.
RounIcarus

Post by RounIcarus »

Azdul wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:03 As I understand, latest nightly builds do have shadows, and are practically 100% complete, with minor bug here and there. On modern machines OpenMW is much more stable than official Bethesda Morrowind engine. And it natively supports widescreen resolutions, while old Morrowind engine does not.

What is not complete is the editor. It still does not have all the features of official Bethesda Morrowind Construction Set.
So if I decided to actually run this today, it would function the way its supposed to?

Will I need to totally scrap an existing playthrough because of some minor update that totally scrambles everything?

Save files, historically, have been quite corruptible... If I decide, (five years later) to actually do a playthrough with this, is it going to be worth the time and effort?
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Yes. Played the game from start to finish in back in 2016. It's completely playable. I noticed some bugs along the way, reported them, and they got fixed. That's generally how OpenMW has progressed over the years. It gets better all the time, and is an extremely viable way to play Morrowind. You needn't worry about save files - the ones I used in 2016 still work fine.
RounIcarus

Post by RounIcarus »

CMAugust wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:10 Yes. Played the game from start to finish in back in 2016. It's completely playable. I noticed some bugs along the way, reported them, and they got fixed. That's generally how OpenMW has progressed over the years. It gets better all the time, and is an extremely viable way to play Morrowind. You needn't worry about save files - the ones I used in 2016 still work fine.
I tend to be a marathon type player, I want to do everything there is to do, then find expansions to do more. Like I said in that one forum that was mercilessly trashed for no reason. I love Morrowind and all the indepthness of its world. I like to feel like I can live a life and have a genuine experience in a whole other world.

So having good save files is really important... The pressure I have felt historically is that if you dont get all the mods you want right away, or use mods you want to get rid of can very easily break the game.

Thats why I have always gotten heavily annoyed with people who say 'just tinker with it' no... I dont want to do a hundred broken playthroughs that dont actually get to the very end because this or that mod is crap... I just want to have one good experience on one playthrough... It would be like watching a movie half way through only to have to start over because some part of it needed to be edited... At some point the purpose for seeing the movie is defeated and it might as well have never existed... At least thats me...
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Yes. At this point there's not much else to be said; it's up to you whether to start your playthrough or not.
RounIcarus

Post by RounIcarus »

CMAugust wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:25 Yes. At this point there's not much else to be said; it's up to you whether to start your playthrough or not.
Is there a stated date or time frame for when they expect a 1.0 release?
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

No, the "Path to 1.0" can't be pinned down to a specific timetable when the project is purely volunteer-based. All I can say is that your gameplay experience with 0.46.0 will be much the same as 1.0, as the differences between the two are already extremely small.
RounIcarus

Post by RounIcarus »

CMAugust wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 08:37 No, the "Path to 1.0" can't be pinned down to a specific timetable when the project is purely volunteer-based. All I can say is that your gameplay experience with 0.46.0 will be much the same as 1.0, as the differences between the two are already extremely small.
0.46.0 doesnt exist... I cant find it anywhere, everything is prompting .45...
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

It hasn't been officially released yet, but the latest version of 0.46.0 is available as a nightly build on this forum. Here is the link:
http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1808