The OpenMW Ingredient Shuffler

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
jmelesky

The OpenMW Ingredient Shuffler

Post by jmelesky »

You create your character, grab some limeware, silt strider to Balmora, guild guide to Wolverine Hall, then start buying up ash yams and netch leather to kickstart your potion-making career.

Sound familiar?

What if you couldn't? What if you didn't know the effects of every ingredient, and couldn't look them up?

From an Alchemy perspective, it would be a whole new game.

Here's what will get you there: The OpenMW Ingredient Shuffler (from the same teamguy behind OpenMW Leveled-List Fixer)

Some important features:
  • Retains effect frequency. If there's only one ingredient with "Drain Mercantile", there will still be just one after the shuffle. Likewise, "Restore Fatigue" will remain a common first effect.
  • Supports any alchemy mods you're using. It parses all mods you're set up to use, and shuffles accordingly. That is, if you're using Vanilla + a mod that removes all "Fortify Intelligence" effects, you won't see any of those effects post-shuffle, either.
  • Separates food and non-food. Food is more likely to have beneficial first effects, and that was important to retain.
  • Hides cursed items appropriately. An emerald and a cursed emerald should always have the same effects, and the shuffler honors that.
Go ahead, give it a try! Remember your notebook, since you'll want to write stuff down....
Time4Tea

Re: The OpenMW Ingredient Shuffler

Post by Time4Tea »

Hey, this is a cool idea - I'll see if I can give it a try sometime. It reminds me of good old nethack, where all the potions and scrolls get shuffled each time and you have to identify them. It would be cool to see nethack-style obfuscation of potions, scrolls and magic items that you find too ;-)

Is there any prospect of your code being merged with the OpenMW source?
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

Time4Tea wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 12:20 Is there any prospect of your code being merged with the OpenMW source?
Not, really, no. OpenMW is written in C++, this is written in Python, so it would need to be a complete rewrite. And I'm not sure there's enough demand for this to warrant it being part of the core product (especially not before 1.0 comes out).

That said, apparently you can do something similar through the TES3MP lua scripting, which makes it likely that it could be reimplimented as a script plugin once OpenMW's lua support goes in. That would definitely be more convenient than running a script to generate a plugin.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

@jmelesky ok, fair enough.