Distant Lands and OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
mikeprichard

Re: Distant Lands and OpenMW

Post by mikeprichard »

Yeah, I also didn't think ECLD is very relevant to graphics - the fact that the screenshot above was with all bells and whistles (including shadows) and view distance at 66666 is HUGE. I understand stability and performance will still need a lot of work, but seeing this in 0.47 is a very, very nice out-of-the-blue surprise.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

ECLD doesn't do distant statics. It just changes the definition of nearby to make it further away.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

psi29a wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 20:48 Are we talking past each other? Do you mean ECLD or do you just mean literally, 2,5 cells worth of distance?
I mean that i use exterior cell load distance=2 and increase the view distance on the ingame menu to 2,5. That's is because I have 30fps, now I think about.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 22:32 ECLD doesn't do distant statics. It just changes the definition of nearby to make it further away.
When this changed? For years I've been playing with 2 cells to see that further statics. When I get my PC will test again with the default ECLD.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 22:32 ECLD doesn't do distant statics. It just changes the definition of nearby to make it further away.
That is way too subtle for some people to understand. ;)
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

mikeprichard wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 20:13 Distant statics might be merged in the 0.47 cycle? This would be incredible!! I had thought from this and other forum topics (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4621) this might take years assuming a dedicated developer had the time, skills, and interest to develop this - viewing distant statics is really the only remaining major feature that OpenMW is currently "lacking" compared to vanilla MW with MGE XE. I'll be following this closely - great news!
I didn't realise that so much work was already under way for OpenMW. While I'm going to continue what I'm doing with Oblivion and others, whatever gets done is unlikely to benefit OpenMW as the divergence will be too large.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

As I pleaded earlier in the thread, there hasn't been any discussion at all about whether OpenMW will eventually read LOD data of other games, so nothing's off the table as far as I'm concerned.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

cc9cii wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 00:21
I didn't realise that so much work was already under way for OpenMW. While I'm going to continue what I'm doing with Oblivion and others, whatever gets done is unlikely to benefit OpenMW as the divergence will be too large.
Good luck..
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

If I can ask: what sorts of issues/bugs are present in what is there already for distant statics? How far have you played?
BloopsCrusts

Post by BloopsCrusts »

Hi ho. It's been about a month. I'm just popping in to renew my offer: a $500 bounty for anyone who can program in distant land and statics on par with what MGE offers, that is to say, able to see all the way from Vivec to Red Mountain at 60+ FPS. I am very enthusiastic about seeing this implemented and I invite anyone else who wants to see the same to chip in with a bounty of their own.