I've an early adopter of OpenMW, and it's awesome!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
TekmonXonic

I've an early adopter of OpenMW, and it's awesome!

Post by TekmonXonic »

Greetings everyone! This is my first post!

I would like to say, that despite OpenMW being in very early stages of development. I've already adopted it as a full blown replacement for vanilla Morrowind. I'm overall very impressed with the performance of this project, and have actually found some interesting things that have been improved.

For example, in vanilla Morrowind, I've changed the months to respawn setting to be 0 (instantaneous), and I found that it has no effect. However, OpenMW has fixed this, and now things respawn instantly, and that means so much to me. It's something I love enabling in newer elder scrolls games, like Oblivion and Skyrim, and having it work in Morrowind is just awesome!

Also, I've found some quality of life improvements that are very awesome. One of my favorites, is that you can canceling shooting an arrow with a bow, of which wasn't a feature until Skyrim came out. Along with that, I also like to see what's inside soul gems when I find them, because it can be really useful when gauging what kind of soul I need for various enchantments.

So overall, I want to thank the wonderful people who have worked on this lovely little project, and I anxiously look forward to every update. This is an amazing project, and I'm deeply in love with it. Thank you again! :D
lysol

Re: I've an early adopter of OpenMW, and it's awesome!

Post by lysol »

Nice to hear that you are enjoying the project. :)

Though I should probably say that OpenMW isn't really in "very early stages of development" since it has been around for more than ten years now. Also, there are a lot of us that use OpenMW exclusively, and has been for many years now.

With that said, OpenMW still has a long way until it can match all the features of a fully modded vanilla Morrowind. But it is getting there.
TekmonXonic

Re: I've an early adopter of OpenMW, and it's awesome!

Post by TekmonXonic »

@ lysol

Thank you. ;)

Well to me it's in the early stages, because of how ambitious plans seem to be for the project. I can't wait until things can get unhardcoded, because the idea of uncapping skills would be paradise to me. I know that's a ways away though, and I understand that volunteer projects like these can take quite some time to develop, let alone finish.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has been using OpenMW as a full blown replacement for vanilla Morrowind. It's just got too much cool stuff going for it already, and I'm enjoying the crap out of it. :)