Cooperation with SKSE devs?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
rguy

Cooperation with SKSE devs?

Post by rguy »

I have considerd to e-mail SKSE devs to ask them to help you,
but eventually I came to that,that it would be best if someone from the team asked them that.Also I do not know wheter the team is interested in their help.
Note,I still have not sent them this e-mail so I do not have any ideas how they would respond.Just an idea :D

Edit 1:
This is their site : http://skse.silverlock.org/
Zini

Re: Cooperation with SKSE devs?

Post by Zini »

That looks like a Skyrim project and is therefore not relevant to us. Also, it seems to be a scripting-related project, which is the one area where we definitely don't nee help.
rguy

Post by rguy »

This is MWSE (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mwse/)
Maybe that could be helpful,though as you said scripting is already an area you do not need help with.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Although I would be happy if openmw is going to support MWSE (not MWE) I don't think that this is obligatory.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

I would hope we do have support for MGE, MWSE and maybe MWE commands post 1.0. Some great mods use them so it would be nice to have support out of the box.
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

Yacoby wrote:I would hope we do have support for MGE, MWSE and maybe MWE commands post 1.0. Some great mods use them so it would be nice to have support out of the box.
+1 in favour of these!
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

In regards to MWSE, would be nice if support for those scripts was built in. All it does is take various functions and give them the ability to store variables.
Zini

Post by Zini »

You mean to use variables as arguments?

Like this?
short x
Set x to 10
AddItem Gold_001, x
That is already working.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Tarius wrote:In regards to MWSE, would be nice if support for those scripts was built in. All it does is take various functions and give them the ability to store variables.
Uh what? Sure, some of the functions do that but it also adds string support, file reading, getting references to objects, iterating through objects in a cell/container. Working out what the player is look at etc etc.

The downside is that it uses what are in effect pointers, so iterating over a cell is done by something like:

Code: Select all

setx ref to xGetFirstNPC
while ref
;do stuff
setx ref to xGetNextNPC ref
endwhile
where as the sane way would be

Code: Select all

for ref in xGetNPCs
;do stuff
endfor
but this goes back to the way that Morrowind scripting is a bit limited. Which is why I would suggest post 1.0. As then we can have a big argument/debate about how a scripting language should be designed (I vote we steal as many design ideas from Python as possible ;) )
Zini

Post by Zini »

So much discussion about scripting going on ;) Maybe I should write down my designs for post-1.0 improvements before we reach OpenMW 1.0 so these discussions have a basis we can work with. I have them worked out mostly anyway.