Ray Tracing in OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
gabrielpf3

Ray Tracing in OpenMW

Post by gabrielpf3 »

Seeing as how Ray Tracing is shaping up to be the future of lighting in video-games, would it be possible for OpenMW to ever implement something as advanced as that? I was just watching some videos of it being implemented in games like Quake and Minecraft, and damn, it's definitely a sight to behold.

I'm guessing it's still not a possibility right now since the technology is still in its infancy (at least in video-games), but maybe in a few years?
thephantomfiddler

Re: Ray Tracing in OpenMW

Post by thephantomfiddler »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5896&p=63128&hilit= ... ing#p63128

And just so you know, Vanilla Morrowind's assets are definitely not capable of being Ray-tracing compatible. Also OpenMW would have to wait for OpenSceneGraph to implement Ray-tracing anyway.
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

thephantomfiddler wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 02:43 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5896&p=63128&hilit= ... ing#p63128

And just so you know, Vanilla Morrowind's assets are definitely not capable of being Ray-tracing compatible. Also OpenMW would have to wait for OpenSceneGraph to implement Ray-tracing anyway.
Technically, it should be possible to hardcode ray tracing via shaders into the lighting shaders and such. This won't fix the assets problem, but just considering everything as diffuse is possible.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

As explained in the other thread you said something like that in, that's not how it works.
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 20:15 As explained in the other thread you said something like that in, that's not how it works.
I'm sorry, I explained why I misunderstood in the other thread.