Side Quests?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
zsouza13

Side Quests?

Post by zsouza13 »

Hello,

I'm new to OpenMw and I was wondering. Do these latest builds include all of the side quests or just the main quest?

Thank you
raevol

Re: Side Quests?

Post by raevol »

All of the content is included in the data files that you get from the vanilla game, which are the data files that you need to play Morrowind with OpenMW.

So they are all there. Whether or not they all work is the question. To my knowledge they all work, does anyone know of any specific quests that are broken at this time? (and could you point us to the relevant bug tracker issue?)
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

i recently played the whole game through TES3MP, and besides TES3MP's current lack of full script sync(which will come later), we had no issues, i did use
Patch For Purists which has fixes for Morrowind, bugs in the base game
thephantomfiddler

Post by thephantomfiddler »

raevol wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 06:17 All of the content is included in the data files that you get from the vanilla game, which are the data files that you need to play Morrowind with OpenMW.

So they are all there. Whether or not they all work is the question. To my knowledge they all work, does anyone know of any specific quests that are broken at this time? (and could you point us to the relevant bug tracker issue?)
Dagoth Ur can't be weakened whenever you kill his Ash vampires, but this was removed because of that one broken script.
thephantomfiddler

raevol wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 06:17 All of the content is included in the data files that you get from the vanilla game, which are the data files that you need to play Morrowind with OpenMW.

Dagoth Ur can't be weakened whenever you kill his Ash vampires. OpenMW intially supported this for a time, but this was removed because of that one broken script.
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

thephantomfiddler wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 16:13

Dagoth Ur can't be weakened whenever you kill his Ash vampires. OpenMW intially supported this for a time, but this was removed because of that one broken script.
Not exactly, as I understand it. Basically, in the base game, with that script active and no changes made to Dagoth Ur, he'd be dead when you encountered him if he could be accessed by it, because when the devs realized it couldn't deal with actors outside loaded cells, rather than changing the script at all, they simply lowered Dagoth Ur's starting stats to what they would be if you killed all the Ash Vampires -- and those stats include less health than the amount the script causes him to lose. To resolve this, OpenMW had to be hardcoded, at least for the moment, to block remote access to specifically Dagoth Ur. Now it works as in vanilla with Dagoth Ur because of the one broken script, but elsewhere it's actually more flexible. Also, any script changes that made weakening Dagoth Ur work in vanilla will work in OpenMW as well.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Not just specifically Dagoth Ur, but the version of him you don't meet in the Akulakhan's Chamber.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Jemolk wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 20:51 because when the devs realized it couldn't deal with actors outside loaded cells, rather than changing the script at all, they simply lowered Dagoth Ur's starting stats to what they would be if you killed all the Ash Vampires
Craziness...
thephantomfiddler

raevol wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 21:58
Jemolk wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 20:51 because when the devs realized it couldn't deal with actors outside loaded cells, rather than changing the script at all, they simply lowered Dagoth Ur's starting stats to what they would be if you killed all the Ash Vampires
Craziness...
Bethesda at its finest :lol:
raevol

Post by raevol »

thephantomfiddler wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 22:04 Bethesda at its finest :lol:
After reading that oral history that was posted, we now know why! They were against a deadline and running on fumes, and there was a lot of inexperienced people on the team.

I think I said this before, but this is very similar to what happened with Baldur's Gate, Uncharted, and of course Final Fantasy.

From wikipedia on Baldur's Gate development:
At the time that the game was shipped, none of the sixty-member team had previously participated in the release of a video game.