OpenMW leveled list fixer - v1.0 released!

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
heilkitty

Re: OpenMW leveled list fixer - v1.0 released!

Post by heilkitty »

Porting to C++ using OpenMW API instead of parsing raw .esp data should be easier to maintain in long term perspective, as .omwaddon format is gonna change (probably, drastically) post-1.0.
jmelesky

Post by jmelesky »

heilkitty wrote: 26 May 2018, 18:12 Porting to C++ using OpenMW API instead of parsing raw .esp data should be easier to maintain in long term perspective, as .omwaddon format is gonna change (probably, drastically) post-1.0.
If the format is properly published, then it should be straightforward to support. Alternately, one could wrap the API in a python library.

To be clear: I've used C++ off and on for over 20 years. Personally, I find working in it extremely unpleasant, so I'm highlly unlikely to ever port to that language. That said, I continue to be happy for anyone else to port or otherwise use my code (it's under a very liberal license for exactly that reason). And I'd be happy to help someone work with my code -- it's fairly straightforward, but not terribly well documented or organized. But don't look to me to turn it into it C++ code.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

I too like Python better, than C++, I'm not looking to you to port your code to C++. I'm just saying, it's a better strategy in the long term.
joshcamas

Post by joshcamas »

I'm thinking about redesigning my mod manager using pyimgui, which is a lot cleaner and wayyy more reactive than my current UI system (Which is essentially a fancy tkinter library). That paired up with turning it into an exe could help imo.