Openmw is the future.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Acer51

Openmw is the future.

Post by Acer51 »

First thing I want to say, you are God damn hero's, every last one of you.

You are no longer simply the creators of an esoteric program beloved only by people like me, you are the harbingers of the future and the creators of yet more thousands of hours of content for the most beautiful Elder Scroll that was ever written.

Your loftiest hopes for OpenMW can and will be realized. Players are going to rush towards your project like never before. Programmers are going to rush to towards your project like never before.

And it's because of the multiplayer.

Capitalize on this, and capitalize on this hard. Openmw multiplayer hasn't been up for a week and in an infantile state. And it's already the most interesting thing that has happened in gaming news this year.

Get Gamespot and IGN to notice you, why is there only one article about this on the internet right now?

Get freaking Gopher to showcase you guys, he's been great to the modding community. Hell, get Gix in on this if you can.

Morrowind could see a renaissance, as you guys said originally, entirely new games can be created with this engine. And if you begin developing a multiplayer community around this engine. They will be.

Morrowind Multiplayer is your baby as much as anyone's it runs on the engine that made it popular, OpenMW.

I would actually recommend refocusing OpenMW's goals in order to support, or at least making it a strong secondary objective of the project to just support Koncord and David Cernat.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Openmw is the future.

Post by psi29a »

Thank you! :)

You can help us... by contacting those people on our behalf and generating interest elsewhere. :)

We can only do so much, we need others to help snowball it.

The long term goal (as listed in the FAQ about multiplayer) of OpenMW is to get tes3mp into a state that we can just merge the fork back into mainline. David and Koncord would then part of the OpenMW team at this point and not just contributing developers. Our main goal has always been trying to get OpenMW 1.0 which is very important as well. 1.0 won't be perfect (nothing ever is), but it will hands down better than vanilla Morrowind.
Acer51

Post by Acer51 »

psi29a wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 14:02 Thank you! :)

You can help us... by contacting those people on our behalf and generating interest elsewhere. :)

We can only do so much, we need others to help snowball it.
I'm going to make a post like this on like....every major Elderscrolls/gaming site.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

i think many people will contribute to this project once they know about the multiplayer. spread the word!
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Acer51 wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 13:51Openmw multiplayer hasn't been up for a week and in an infantile state. And it's already the most interesting thing that has happened in gaming news this year.
According to whom?
why is there only one article about this on the internet right now?
Oh, to you.

Hyperbole. Let's keep feet on the ground eh?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

buzzkill ;)
Acer51

Post by Acer51 »

charlieg wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 10:09
Acer51 wrote: 02 Aug 2017, 13:51Openmw multiplayer hasn't been up for a week and in an infantile state. And it's already the most interesting thing that has happened in gaming news this year.
According to whom?
Oh, to you.

Those who keep their feet on the ground never fly.

How could you possibly be against a little optimism anyway? Even if you truly believe I'm exaggerating, what do you have to lose from people being enthusiastic about this?

You almost sound like someone who can't stand to see OpenMW succeed in any way.
Xenuria

Post by Xenuria »

It is the future but I dare say that it is not future-proof. Optimization is something that needs to happen and work-arounds need to be found for core usage.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Acer51 wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 16:15Those who keep their feet on the ground never fly.
You should read the story of Icarus.
How could you possibly be against a little optimism anyway? Even if you truly believe I'm exaggerating, what do you have to lose from people being enthusiastic about this?
It's not a lack of optimism, but to call OpenMW multiplayer "the most interesting thing in gaming this year" is extremely over the top. I doubt even the most ardent OpenMW developer would agree with you.
You almost sound like someone who can't stand to see OpenMW succeed in any way.
And you almost sound like ... I could say something rude, I won't.

OpenMW will not succeed because people say silly things. It will succeed because of the hard work of the developers and thosee intelligently publicizing the game. Going wild with comments in the forum doesn't do much for anybody.

As for wishing open source to succeed, I spent several years actively promoting open source games as the founding author of the Free Gamer blog. What have you done, aside from this nonsensical thread?
lysol

Post by lysol »

charlieg wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 10:09
According to whom?
Oh, to you.

Of course it is according to him. He wrote it and didn't quote anyone else.

Silly thread? Maybe. According to you, then yes. But who cares? Leave the guy be. He just expressed his feelings towards this project.