Door closing sound bug

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
jayhova4x4

Door closing sound bug

Post by jayhova4x4 »

I'm a newbie here and I am curious about the issues of door closing sounds playing out of synch with the actual door closing. I noticed when I got in the way of a door that the door was unable to close until I moved. However, the closing door sound played as though the door had already closed. Is this behavior the same in vanilla MW?
Dyskos

Re: Door closing sound bug

Post by Dyskos »

If you haven't played the vanilla game, then how do you know it's a bug?

I'm no programmer, but I imagine it has to do with how events and triggers are handled. The sound is most likely triggered once you interact with the door, and the sound has to play and finish, regardless of whether it actually shut all the way. I'll have to fire up the vanilla game to check if this is default behavior, though. I imagine it is, but I don't see why it couldn't be double-checked.
jayhova4x4

Post by jayhova4x4 »

It's been a little while since I played vanilla MW. This is why I was asking. Even if this is how it works in vanilla my understanding is that the policy is not necessarily to replicate the broken behavior of vanilla if not replicating it would be as easy and not break how other things work. I also thought it might have something to do with a bug they fixed last time dealing with animations and them being interrupted.
Chris

Post by Chris »

The issue is that a door just plays a sound when the movement starts, and the sound is designed to reach the 'close and latch' part when the movement finishes. But because it's just a single sound, it's difficult to keep it synched if the door movement gets obstructed. The "proper" way to fix it would be to split the sound into three parts: the start when movement begins, the middle that continuously repeats while the door is moving (or not repeat, depending), and the end when the door reaches the closed state. But that would require new sounds and break mods, if new information isn't added to the game data.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

AFAIK we have some code that's supposed to start the sound at a time offset, based on the state of the door. Is that not working anymore?
Chris

Post by Chris »

scrawl wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 14:28 AFAIK we have some code that's supposed to start the sound at a time offset, based on the state of the door. Is that not working anymore?
I think that only applies for (re-)activating doors when they're in-between being open and closed. From what I understand, the issue here is with a door being temporarily blocked by an obstacle.