Hello and ResetActors question.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
vskull

Hello and ResetActors question.

Post by vskull »

Hello community,

I recently started using OpenMW 0.41 with the GOTY Edition on Steam and I've noticed that NPCs are sometimes missing from their default locations. After a bit of searching on UESP, I did find a solution using the console command 'ResetActors' whenever I started a new character. I understand this is not a bug in OpenMW, but in the game itself. My question is, could code be inserted into OpenMW so that when character creation is complete, the 'ResetActors' console command gets automatically triggered?

Edit: This would ensure that all stationary NPCs would be loaded to their default locations and since it would be done at beginning of a new game, (in theory) it wouldn't disrupt the flow of the game. It's just a minor annoyance to manually do it each new game.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying OpenMW and looking forward to future releases. Having not re-played Morrowind in 14+ years is like a whole new experience for me, lol. I want to thank all who work or have worked on OpenMW, it is truly amazing and so are all of you.

Safe journeys. ;)
Thunderforge

Re: Hello and ResetActors question.

Post by Thunderforge »

ResetActors only resets the characters in your current cell, as I recall, and it wouldn't be practical to rest the continuously since they would never move. Was there a particular area you were having trouble with?
Frik

Post by Frik »

vskull wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 00:40 I've noticed that NPCs are sometimes missing from their default locations.
You might find this thread useful.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4010&p=44428#p44428

Example of how to find the Find Cordinates of a NPC
"Masalinie Merian"->GetPos X
"Masalinie Merian"->GetPos Y
"Masalinie Merian"->GetPos Z
"Masalinie Merian"->GetAngle Z

To Reposition
"Masalinie Merian"->Position X ,Y, Z, Z
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Unrelated to the OP, but thanks Frik because I never knew how to do that w/ scripting (specifically how to get the position)

ST
vskull

Post by vskull »

@ Thunderforge
- Sorry I didn't know it was for current cell only, I assumed it was a global command. I've never used any of the console commands before until a few days ago. It did fix my problem, however I think for now on I'll be using Frik's suggestion.

@ Frik
- I found your post extremely useful and I will be using that when I encounter a problem again with missing NPCs. I'm currently level 21 doing the Fighters Guild quests for Wolverine Hall and thankfully haven't seen anymore missing NPCs. Also wanted to say that I have one of your mods installed, Uncle Sweet's Cellar. I have not gone there yet, but it's on my list of places to visit. :)

@ community
- I am very new to the console commands and scripting. I may have more questions later on, so please excuse my ignorance of the two.
Frik

Post by Frik »

Glad I could be of some assistance.

You can find the coordinates of your player, as well:
player->GetPos X
player->GetPos Y
player->GetPos Z
player->GetAngle Z

To Reposition Player
player->Position X ,Y, Z, Z

If a NPC goes missing completely, you can stand where you'd like the missing NPC to be placed, find your player coordinates, then position the missing NPC using those player coordinates.