New here

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Darklight

New here

Post by Darklight »

So i have a few questions about open morrowind

1. Since morrowind first came out and with so many patches to either help improve the game and many fixs it always bug the hell out of me that no one has ever fixed the piece of dialogue that involves with the topic of morrowind law. On the pc and the xbox port once you talk about it the game freezes up so i wanted to know if that was fixed on here?

2. Would any mods be integrated into open mw at all or atleast the official ones that has been released?

3. Are there any plans on making anything orignal for open mw
raevol

Re: New here

Post by raevol »

Welcome!

1. I'm not aware of this bug, can someone else expand?
2. As long as the mods do not rely on a modified Morrowind engine, such as MWSE, they will work with OpenMW. All the official mods work as far as I know (I am running them) and a ton of others do as well. See: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Mod_status
3. Yes, our Example Suite is the first effort. See: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4169
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Something all new users seem to confuse: OpenMW is not a replacement of the game, it's a replacement of its engine. It still needs some game to run, and note: not necessarily Morrowind.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Capostrophic wrote:Something all new users seem to confuse: OpenMW is not a replacement of the game, it's a replacement of its engine. It still needs some game to run, and note: not necessarily Morrowind.
One reason for that MAY be that Darkelfguy still calls it "Open Morrowind" (just like Darklight) in his "Morrowind Modding Showcase" videos whenever he mentions it, despite my repeated mentioning to him that is is OpenMW. :roll:

Oh, well, it's probably just like many people don't get (or want to accept?) that gog is no longer "good old games"... it is just too strongly connected with this meaning, just like OpenMW is still very strongly associated with Morrowind. Which, in both cases, is also not exactly wrong. ;)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I once told a youtuber that it's Open M W, not Open Morrowind. He replied saying that he does it intentionally. On one hand, we have to be sensitive about how we call things. On the other, third parties aren't forced to abide by our guidelines. It's not really our fault if they choose to ignore the correct naming.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Of course, everyone has the right to call it that if he wants to, but if someone makes videos which are watched by a considerable part of the community, you'd think he would want to get things like that right.
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

Can I call it Open My Wrinkles then?
ezze

Post by ezze »

Mr TochNahBS you can call it as you want. We cannot stop you, but anything a part of OpenMW or OpenCS is wrong.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

ezze wrote:OpenCS
Actually OpenCS is wrong. OpenMW-CS is correct.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I liked OpenMicroWave best. :)

OpenMW-CS and OpenCS is going to be with us for awhile since it is opencs in our source. Sadly this conflicts with another project already called opencs that has nothing to do with we're doing.

The only thing we can do is keep typing and saying it consistently in our videos and hope that it spreads.

If necessary we can all be more forceful when someone says or types it incorrectly by politely but repeatedly correcting them. Either they fix it or we annoy them until they fix it. :) We have to remind them that by referring to the project incorrectly, they are hurting the project. If it matters that much to you, then feel free to encourage others to also put pressure on them to stop sloppy "journalism". Point out that citing their sources correctly makes the difference between a no-name (click-bait) blogger and a reputable journalist (citizen, or otherwise). Don't spread fake news and alternative facts ;)