Questions regading character animation in OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
bahamut

Re: Questions regading character animation in OpenMW

Post by bahamut »

MiroslavXO wrote:
Capostrophic wrote:
TheOneWhoWatches wrote: Or it's possible to use more "complete" skeleton with more bones.
Replacing skeleton requires remaking of all animations and character bodies too.
And all armour, clothes, robes, etc...
And i think that is the worse part, more than animations themeselves.

The main problem is we lack decently developed tools for animating, for most people see the whole process as black magic and decide to not bother with them at all.

Lately i decided do dig more into them and already i've managed to get custom skeleton working in MW, starting with original one, i've added new bones to get a skyrim like skeleton. And this is what i got (used some skyrim assets for testing)

lysol

Post by lysol »

It sounds like you've gotten further than anyone before you bahamut! Impressive work so far, I look forward to see more progress.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

bahamut wrote:
MiroslavXO wrote:
Capostrophic wrote:
TheOneWhoWatches wrote: Or it's possible to use more "complete" skeleton with more bones.
Replacing skeleton requires remaking of all animations and character bodies too.

The main problem is we lack decently developed tools for animating, for most people see the whole process as black magic and decide to not bother with them at all.

Lately i decided do dig more into them and already i've managed to get custom skeleton working in MW, starting with original one, i've added new bones to get a skyrim like skeleton. And this is what i got (used some skyrim assets for testing)
Does the skeleton "play" original animations? Did you try to retarget animation to custom skeleton, or did you just imported skeleton with no .kf data in game?
When I was messing up with animations I was animating on bare skeleton blindly, witch is ridiculous, tedious and almost impossible.
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

MiroslavXO wrote:
bahamut wrote:
MiroslavXO wrote:
Capostrophic wrote:

Does the skeleton "play" original animations?

Did you try to retarget animation to custom skeleton, or did you just imported skeleton with no .kf data in game?
When I was messing up with animations I was animating on bare skeleton blindly, witch is ridiculous, tedious and almost impossible.
Nope, its all pretty raw, done just some basic new Idle pose for testing

On the plus, as this skeleton is nearly a carbon copy of Skrim's one, it supports its assets, and mabye even animations (didnt tested it yet). Atm im trying to do some basic template body for this skeleton
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Skyrim's vanilla skeleton, or something like XPMSE?