OpenMW Demo suggestion.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
GreyFox

Re: OpenMW Demo suggestion.

Post by GreyFox »

DestinedToDie wrote:I´ll give it that Game of Thrones has a lot of fans, which might garner extra attention.

But since the discussion about Warner Bros and copyright seems to be ongoing - would you rather make a demo which´s legal rights are owned by George R.R Martin fellas than make one that is free and original? Even if they don´t file DMCA claim or they give us thumbs up and tell us to go for it, they will be the ones who own it at the end of the day.
I agree on that, and what happened to the LOTR project was disheartening, given how much of peoples work was wasted for nothing.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Looking at the commercial GoT games available, it seems that there are no first person open world ones. Maybe if a serious company asks for a license from Martin Fellas and picks OpenMW engine as base, it might just happen.

I once asked Nicolas Cage if I could take his face and make it the base texture on everything in OpenMW Template, then release it as the Cage Template. Haven´t gotten a reply to this day.

http://manilovefilms.com/wp-content/upl ... s-cage.jpg
GreyFox

Post by GreyFox »

DestinedToDie wrote:Looking at the commercial GoT games available, it seems that there are no first person open world ones. Maybe if a serious company asks for a license from Martin Fellas and picks OpenMW engine as base, it might just happen.
As I said before in this thread, B seriously considered it. And the engine would go well with a worked out world like ASOIAF.
DestinedToDie wrote:
DestinedToDie wrote: I once asked Nicolas Cage if I could take his face and make it the base texture on everything in OpenMW Template, then release it as the Cage Template. Haven´t gotten a reply to this day.

http://manilovefilms.com/wp-content/upl ... s-cage.jpg
There is a plain of Oblivion where every surface is covered in his face ... little known fact.
anontahoe

Post by anontahoe »

in fair use you can do pretty much whatever you want.
warner are copyright trolls ("happy birthday", "harry potter and a stone", etc.) but if you worry about them then just release your mod/demo/asset on the darknet and let the fanbase do the sharing.
i don't understand why post-snowden some people still do anything on the internet with their clearnet identity anyway, regardless of copyright abuse and oligarchy.

oh, and lovecraft probably didn't make c'thul'hu publicly available - he just died sufficiently many decades ago and disney corporation hasn't yet gotten around to their next round of bribing courts and politicians around the world to increase copyright encumbrance periods any further.
also according to wikipedia nobody really knows what of lovecraft's works is copyrighted and what isn't.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Chris wrote:
GreyFox wrote:How about we do Song of Ice and Fire
Copyrighted material. And George R.R. Martin is not overly fond of unlicensed fanworks of his stuff (he has a rather tight leash on fanworks, and has even criticized the likes of H.P. Lovecraft for effectively making the Cthulu mythos free to use).
I was seriously considering to buy his books, but thanks to this information... I won't.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

ezze wrote: I was seriously considering to buy his books, but thanks to this information... I won't.
I loaned the first 2 books from a library for free like 10 years ago. I guess he didn´t get any money from me reading them? Anyway, they were alright. Not legendary, but good. There´s a lot of dragon hype. Reminds me of Skyrim. Put dragons in anything and people buy it just because dragons. There´s some other good stuff there too, but the dragon hype is strong.

Was surprised when they went "viral" all those years later. They´re pretty much a meme now, but you probably won´t miss anything super amazing by not reading them.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

DestinedToDie wrote:
ezze wrote: I was seriously considering to buy his books, but thanks to this information... I won't.
I loaned the first 2 books from a library for free like 10 years ago. I guess he didn´t get any money from me reading them? Anyway, they were alright. Not legendary, but good. There´s a lot of dragon hype. Reminds me of Skyrim. Put dragons in anything and people buy it just because dragons. There´s some other good stuff there too, but the dragon hype is strong.
Well... I bought the first book when it first came out in paperback, and it was more of a brutally plausible pseudo-medieval drama with a few ice zombies throw in to keep the fantasy element going. Hell, the dragons didn't even appear until the final page of the book. (Although there is some reference to the now dead dragons of the Targaryen's of old, admittedly).

Then again, I was a fan of Martin's from the days of Wild Cards, Fevre Deam and Sandkings, (Tuf Voyaging, not so much), so I more or less knew what to expect. But I thought that first one in particular was fantastic.