Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Capostrophic

Re: Vivec retexture to show off/test shaders

Post by Capostrophic »

lysol, save textures that shouldn't have alpha-channel (pretty much all diffuse textures you made) in DXT1, it will look literally the same as in DXT5 format (DXTn is the same compression method just with different alpha "modes") at half the size.

Also, looks like you mismanaged to read the texture modding page. Specular maps OpenMW uses must contain specular color in RGB and specular strength (the one you placed in RGB) in alpha. For now specularmapped objects with your textures shine at maximum strength. I think.

Good job otherwise.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Capostrophic wrote:lysol, save textures that shouldn't have alpha-channel (pretty much all diffuse textures you made) in DXT1, it will look literally the same as in DXT5 format (DXTn is the same compression method just with different alpha "modes") at half the size.
Thanks! I'll go for that then.
Capostrophic wrote:Also, looks like you mismanaged to read the texture modding page. Specular maps OpenMW uses must contain specular color in RGB and specular strength (the one you placed in RGB) in alpha. For now specularmapped objects with your textures shine at maximum strength. I think.

Good job otherwise.
I haven't done anything special with the specular maps since they are generated by CrazyBump. I just assumed it would export them correctly. But they don't shine with maximum strenght now as far as I know. The floor barely shines at all now for example, even though it has a specular map. That specular map is quite dark. Some other textures have a bit too much specularity now though imo.

Still, it does say what you say in the wiki. I'll need to check this out.

EDIT: Shit, you're right. I wonder why crazybump works like this... I have to fix stuff now. A lot of stuff.

EDIT 2: Gold looks so much better when it reflects yellow instead of white. Obviously. I didn't know this was possible. Everything makes so much more sense now. Haha. Finally I'll be able to remove the plastic look without ditching the whole idea of specular maps. Anyone got a good tutorial on how to get the most out of them?
lysol

Post by lysol »

@Scrawl: What happens when you have both a _n and a _nh in the same folder for the same mesh? Is there any hierarchy that decides which one to use, i.e. does it pick a _nh if there is one, else it goes for the _n-file?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

pick a _nh if there is one, else it goes for the _n-file
Exactly. The _nh is preferred, since it contains more information.
lysol

Post by lysol »

scrawl wrote:
pick a _nh if there is one, else it goes for the _n-file
Exactly. The _nh is preferred, since it contains more information.
Good. I was expecting that, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.
lysol

Post by lysol »

So ehm... I made another video. :)

I'll upload the textures I've made so far within an hour or so. It's more or less just details left to do except for a few things.

Also, note the lighting bug in this video here and there. I'm starting to think that it does not have to do with my normal maps since I've more or less fixed the problem with color profiling, and the normal maps now look fine to me. Especially scrawl might be interested in this I guess. Do you have any news on this?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Beautiful, Thank you! And a tip: F11 can disable the HUD.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Amenophis wrote:Beautiful, Thank you! And a tip: F11 can disable the HUD.
Thanks! (both for the compliment and the tip)
lysol

Post by lysol »

... aaand download link is up.

Please give me feedback if you have any, I would really appreciate that. I learned a lot about specular maps after capostrophic pointed out the errors I did. I found a few sites with good info on them which I wouldn't have searched for if he/she hadn't pointed it out.

EDIT: By the way, if you downloaded the previous version, there might be some files you need to delete. Sorry. I used parallax mapping on some textures where I now only have normal maps. So delete these:

Code: Select all

tx_v_b_base_01_nh.dds
tx_v_base_01_nh.dds
tx_v_base_02_nh.dds
tx_v_base_08_nh.dds
Otherwise it should be enough to just overwrite and you'll be fine.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Is it just me or does everything look kind of shiny like it's wet?

But otherwise looks awesome! :)