Cell preloading

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Antsan

Re: Cell preloading

Post by Antsan »

raevol wrote:
Antsan wrote: There's a mod for that. I didn't ever try it, though.
I've seen that, I have to try it sometime! Is there one for boats?
Not that I know of.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

It's super exciting to see this feature actually happen, you're a legend Scrawl :D
Chris wrote:Taking a few seconds with some kind of loading screen really seems to be the best way to go about it because it fools your brain into believing a good amount of time passed (the "Some time later..." effect), and you weren't seeing yourself go from A to B (which helps mask how short of a trip it actually was)..
I've thought for some time that a "traveling across the map" sequence like in Indiana Jones would be really cool.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

raevol wrote:
Antsan wrote:There's a mod for that. I didn't ever try it, though.
I've seen that, I have to try it sometime! Is there one for boats?
Yes, there is, also by abot: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42270/?
And one for gondoliers: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43291/?
Antsan

Post by Antsan »

I just took a look at the comments on the Silt Strider mod and found this:
On OpenMW (both 0.36 and 0.37-git) the silt strider is not visible when choosing scenic travel (the character itself is moving forward at the proper height from the ground). Is this a known problem and, if so, how could I fix this? I'm using v1.14, with Tamriel Rebuilt. TIA.
No idea, I don't use/support OpenMW at the moment, probably still too soon/too many incompatibilities with Morrowind engine to run complex scripted mods
This was fixed, but mod still can't work properly with OpenMW because of non-implemented Face function.
That last post was four days ago, so…
I guess these mods won't work with OpenMW a it currently is.
FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty »

Out of curiosity, how much RAM would we need to preload every single cell? Might not be feasible for those lads using the x86 version, but it could be a sweet, sweet doozey for those of us with plenty of RAM.

Would probably need a mod that achieves something similar to Legend Of Zelda's interior<->exterior sequence, otherwise the transition is going to be pretty yucky.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

MajinCry wrote:Might not be feasible for those lads using the x86 version, but it could be a sweet, sweet doozey for those of us with plenty of RAM.
I'm assuming you mean i386 (32-bit) version? Because x86 just indicates that it is of the x86 architecture, of which i386 and x86_64 are apart.
FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty »

psi29a wrote:
MajinCry wrote:Might not be feasible for those lads using the x86 version, but it could be a sweet, sweet doozey for those of us with plenty of RAM.
I'm assuming you mean i386 (32-bit) version? Because x86 just indicates that it is of the x86 architecture, of which i386 and x86_64 are apart.
Yes master. I've just seen x86 being used for 32bit, and x86_64 (or x64) used for 64bit, so I figured that they were interchangeable.

I'll, uh, use the terms 32bit and 64bit next time.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Pherim wrote:Yes, there is, also by abot: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42270/?
And one for gondoliers: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43291/?
Nice! Thanks!
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Now all that remains is a Portal-esque tweak where interior cells are brought into the worldspace using physical hacks and fourth-dimensional tweaks to ensure that they can never intercept the rest of the game in the wrong way.

Okay, maybe I just kinda want to see people get stress headaches by walking through doors.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

SquireNed wrote:Now all that remains is a Portal-esque tweak where interior cells are brought into the worldspace using physical hacks and fourth-dimensional tweaks to ensure that they can never intercept the rest of the game in the wrong way.

Okay, maybe I just kinda want to see people get stress headaches by walking through doors.
Heh, would definitely kill the system loading all the interior cells as well as exteriors, however it got me thinking, it would be cool if a sort of low LOD / poly interior based on whats in it and neutral lighting conditions could be generated to be used as what is seen through windows where the buildings have them!