Benchmarks / Hardware Specs

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Benchmarks / Hardware Specs

Post by psi29a »

This needs to go in our FAQ.
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

Speaking of Morrowind Optimization Patch...
MGE XE Addon:
This module provides dedicated meshes for distant land generation meant to be used with MGE XE. This module will not work with OpenMW and replacers.
I assume, this is that LOD thing?
clort

Post by clort »

scrawl wrote: 23 Nov 2015, 15:22 I figured it would be fun to redo the OpenMW vs. OpenMW-OSG benchmark...
Thanks for the steady work and progress! Never thought I'd say this but we can-has openmw on these potato-ARM boards with ricegrain GPUs!

Khadas VIM3 Kernel 5.10 with brand-spankin-new PANFROST OPENGL3
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-824ae64477

Build:
openmw: git master Jan 14, 2021
$ git rev-parse HEAD
b164f1aa17dbb34ad5223f2c736765f74081d5c6
osg 3.6 (scrawl) Jan 14, 2021
8b07809fa674ecffe77338aaea2e223b3aadff0e

Hardware:
KhadasVim3 Pro (4x CortexA72, mali G52 MP4 GPU, 4GB)

Settings:
- Object shaders = OFF
- Shadows = OFF
- Water shader = OFF
- 1024x768 resolution
- Physics 30fps
- Advanced Navi
- Viewing Distance 4800
- Field of View 80
- auto use terrain normal maps = true (rest of shaders off)
- Actors Processing Range 3584

Mods (partial):
- IntelligentTextures
- Morrowind Optimization
- Atlased Textures
- Beautiful Cities

In-scene Triangles 139074, 15 FPS
Now before you mock my punyness, realize this is an ARM GPU which never had working OpenGL support from the vendor. That is a purely volunteer reverse-engineering effort by a handful of brilliant people. It's a deferred-rendering GPU which may have significant drawbacks with OSG as being used by OpenMW.

Still very fun, very fun! :P
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

That's great news!

Yeah, don't believe anyone that says their GPU only supports GLES and not OpenGL. It just means the vendor didn't bother to expose OpenGL.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Modern desktop GPUs are tile-based deferred renderers now, too, so we're already doing our best to avoid upsetting them. We do have to use alpha testing when a mesh tells us to, which they're not supposed to like, but the impact is usually small enough that mods like Morrowind Optimisation Patch, which convert alpha-blended meshes with a lot of draw calls to alpha-tested ones with fewer, still end up helping.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

CMAugust wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 00:26 tl;dr shadows/reflections are expensive, and there's only so much the engine can do without remaking every model in the game, but there are improvements coming down the wire. Install Morrowind Optimization Patch and Project Atlas for fps gain. Technical explanation follows:

Morrowind is notoriously CPU-limited. That is, the CPU sending instructions of what to draw to the GPU. You have to keep in mind just how bad Morrowind meshes are from a performance point of view. Morrowind designers didn't have to worry about real time shadows, or reflections, or seeing for miles in all directions. The first TES game to do what OpenMW is doing (real time shadows on everything) was TESV Skyrim, which has godly efficient assets in comparison. Take trees as an example; what takes 2 draw calls in Skyrim might take 50 in Morrowind, or even more, just because of the way it was built. In OpenMW, at max settings, each of those individual "drawables" need an additional 1 draw call for reflection, 1 for refraction, and 1 for each shadow map. You can see how these things add up. A complex scene in Skyrim might cost about 3000 draw calls per frame; a comparatively barren scene in Morrowind can soar over 8000.

Even cutting edge games like Star Citizen aim for an average draw count of 2500 max. Assets were painstakingly made and remade to use less and less draw calls. Even though OpenMW will continue to be optimised as time goes on, there's only so much a game engine can do with inefficient assets. But for what it's worth, there are ways for the engine to merge a lot of these drawables together at runtime, and that's what OpenMW is going to do more and more in the future. In the meantime, some mod authors actually have painstakingly optimised a lot of meshes to make them more draw efficient. Look for Morrowind Optimization Patch and Project Atlas and you should see a substantial fps boost for many scenes.
I'm not a programmer or modeller but you're saying having all the objects in Morrowind remade would drastically enhance framerate, view distance and general playability? How would they need to be remade? i.e. Doing away with the .NIF and using a completely new model design?
I was thinking in the coming years and decades, most high-budget games will be using models that support ray tracing, which the nvidia RTX cards can support. Would it ideal to create new assets with this technology incorporated?
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Objects would ideally use one texture. Actually, the more objects can share a texture, the better. This is the purpose of mods like Project Atlas, which does indeed rework meshes to make then share a texture atlas.

Ray tracing is still too far off to see, but a more immediately useful step before then is support for PBR materials, in the same way normal and specular maps are already supported. But the creation of assets themselves are outside the bounds of OpenMW engine development; that will only come from the community of modders and content creators, which is quite small.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

CMAugust wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 12:32 Objects would ideally use one texture. Actually, the more objects can share a texture, the better. This is the purpose of mods like Project Atlas, which does indeed rework meshes to make then share a texture atlas.

Ray tracing is still too far off to see, but a more immediately useful step before then is support for PBR materials, in the same way normal and specular maps are already supported. But the creation of assets themselves are outside the bounds of OpenMW engine development; that will only come from the community of modders and content creators, which is quite small.
Do you mean remaking every asset with Physics Based Rendering support? Or just making a PBR blanket that would make everything in game have PBR?
Is that how it was done for normal and specular mapping?

It looks like this guy got a lot of assets to have PBR but certainly not everything. It looks okay in some areas. You can really see it on the mushrooms and armor. But I think he used MGE XE and did some funky workaround. I'm not a modeller, just an interior designer, so I have no idea about this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHg7qpexkjg

EDIT: It looks like HasphatAntobolis has been working on a project to replace the textures (or meshes or whatever it is that is being replaced... I dunno, I know nothing about modelling or textures or meshes) with PBR support... and I guess support for normal maps, specular maps and occlusion maps.... (don't know what an occlusion map is either).

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47353

Is this what you were suggesting would be useful for OpenMW?
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

Basically, stuff has to happen engine-side before the PBR materials in those mods can be handled properly in-game. OpenMW doesn't create PBR materials themselves, in the same way it doesn't generate normal maps; that is the domain of content creators. Once PBR is properly supported, we will probably start to see more PBR texture mods being released in the wild.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

CMAugust wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 09:16 Basically, stuff has to happen engine-side before the PBR materials in those mods can be handled properly in-game. OpenMW doesn't create PBR materials themselves, in the same way it doesn't generate normal maps; that is the domain of content creators. Once PBR is properly supported, we will probably start to see more PBR texture mods being released in the wild.
So OpenMW has to have code added to it that supports PBR?