General asset questions

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: General asset questions

Post by psi29a »

When OpenMW starts up, it reads the _START script... loading the player. During startup, I get this:
Failed to load body part 'BG_B_N_Bret_Head03'
Failed to load body part 'BG_B_N_Bret_Hair01k'

No idea what is causing this. I do know that the mesh exists here:

./Textures/1BG_B_N_Bret_Head03.DDS
./Meshes/HD-71/BG_B_N_Bret_Head03.NIF

Anyone know how to fix this with OpenMW-CS?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yes to both questions? :) What kind of work with NIF/KF files? Would people still need Blender 2.49 (all associated tools) to do animation work?
One of the post 1.0 features is better resources file management (archives and stuff). On the OpenMW-CS side that would usually mean you don't drop your files in a directory any more, but point OpenMW-CS to them which will then move the files into the respective archive, after looking for potential problems (overwriting a file, missing dependencies and so on).
This will require the implementation of checking all files a file is depending on. Of course once we have this feature implemented we can also offer a function that performs this kind of analysis outside of the import process.

This does not include any editing features, so Blender or an equivalent tool would still be required. We may at some point add a tool that allows changing textures, but I don't see that as a core OpenMW-CS feature. The implementation would have to go into an editor-addon/plugin.
@zini and @scrawl: was it the intention that we only look for those exact files? In Morrowind, if the file wasn't found, it looks for others with the same name but with a different extension. Can we fix this?
Easy. New GMST that makes OpenMW check for exact names only. Wouldn't be useful for Morrowind, but any TC with cleaner resources management could benefit from it. Post 1.0 feature, obviously.
onionland

Post by onionland »

Speaking of features for the editor, I believe psi was working on implementing map importing from file into the editor some time ago. It is a feature I personally has been waiting for, although I have to admit that I haven't checked up on it in some time. Would you mind telling me the status of that particular feature?

P.S. I'm currently out of the country so forgive me if I won't be able to participate in any further discussion.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Editor addon/plugin most likely. I don't consider this core functionality. A post-1.0 feature, since the addon/plugin system (currently in very early pre-concept stage) is a post-1.0 feature too.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I've not put any time into this for OpenMW-CS, though I would love this feature. According to Zini it will be a post 1.0 feature.

In the mean time I've been working on my world building project and it has picked up steam as we're now with two developers and a few contributors and reddit love! Give it a try: http://world-engine.org

Once you have something you like, you can use TESAnnwyn to replace an existing map/terrain with yours:
https://github.com/psi29a/TESAnnwyn

It is simple enough code, should work on all platforms. :)

@Zini: I do plan on creating a bare-bone omwgame file that has just enough to run OpenMW. We can use that as the basis for the openmw-example-suite.
Zini

Post by Zini »

If you succeed in resolving the asset question sufficiently, we may offer such a file as a template in OpenMW-CS.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini, I started working on a from scratch owgame and ran into something funny.

OpenMW complained:
ERROR: GameSetting 'sBribe 10 Gold' not found

OK, fine... I'll add it with OpenMW-CS but if I select "Game settings", I can't add anything. I can edit/revert/delete but I can't add a new game setting.

So with that, I'm currently blocked. :)

Also, it looks like OpenMW looks specifically for this file:
ERROR: Resource 'meshes/base_anim.nif' not found

Is this hardcoded or Is there any way change this?

Another question, when will I have the ability to copy from one open window (ESM file) to another window (another ESM file)? For example, there is an entry I would like to cut & paste instead of entering in all the fields at once?
Zini

Post by Zini »

OK, fine... I'll add it with OpenMW-CS but if I select "Game settings", I can't add anything. I can edit/revert/delete but I can't add a new game setting.
GMSTs can't be added/deleted. That delete works is a bug (revert is a different case).

A new omwgame file should come with all game settings. If there are some missing then this is also a bug. We have sBribe, but no "sBribe 10 Gold". I can't find any reference to sBribe in the source, but there is sBribe 10/100/1000 Gold. Might be we got that wrong on the CS side.

@scrawl: Do I see that correctly? sBribe does not exist, but there are 3 other sBribe variants?
Also, it looks like OpenMW looks specifically for this file:
ERROR: Resource 'meshes/base_anim.nif' not found
Hardcoded, it seems (apps/openmw/mwclass/npc.cpp and apps/openmw/mwrender/npcanimation.cpp).
Another question, when will I have the ability to copy from one open window (ESM file) to another window (another ESM file)? For example, there is an entry I would like to cut & paste instead of entering in all the fields at once?
In theory this is already possible via drag and drop (we don't really do cut & paste beyond plain text because it does not really match the data model). However the implementation does not to seem cover all cases, in particular it isn't possible to copy records from one content file to another. Feel free to file an issue for that.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

@scrawl: Do I see that correctly? sBribe does not exist, but there are 3 other sBribe variants?
Correct. GMSTs (status)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay. The GMST bug is fixed. The fix will not affect previously created omwgame files. These are broken.

@psi29a: Do you need a fix for your file or can you remake it? A fix would be possible, but it would require temporarily inserting a few lines into the source and the fixed file would still carry the surplus sBribe GMST.