Is it possible to commercially release a game on OpenMW?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Is it possible to commercially release a game on OpenMW?

Post by psi29a »

It really isn't all that evil, it is just asking for the source to the binary, not your copyrighted work (assets/game).

That is why I suggested that if you haven't modified the sources, you can just provide a link to the sources you used to create/compile the binary.
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

psi29a wrote:It really isn't all that evil, it is just asking for the source to the binary, not your copyrighted work (assets/game).

That is why I suggested that if you haven't modified the sources, you can just provide a link to the sources you used to create/compile the binary.
Simplest solution: If you don't need to modify OpenMW's engine, you just tell people to install openmw and then sell them your content files under a closed license. No need to worry about GPL at all in that case.
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

maqifrnswa wrote:Simplest solution: If you don't need to modify OpenMW's engine, you just tell people to install openmw and then sell them your content files under a closed license. No need to worry about GPL at all in that case.
Simplest for you as the seller perhaps.
Not so simple for the average user who just wants to to play the game he has just purchased.
Although I guess you could add "download and install OpenMW" functionality into the installer for your game.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

That would be pretty bad haha. There are some people who don't know how to mod, don't know what an engine is, etc, but they still want to play. It's fine if you're already used to modding your game, changing lines in .ini file or even coding a new engine, that 1 extra step is a walk in the park, if not a minor annoyance that you have to do it separately. I'd certainly be a little irked. And what if the site or download link goes down? I just payed for a game and I can't play it!?
StraToN

Post by StraToN »

This is not easy stuff. Here's an attempt to make it easier : https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-gener ... 28gpl-3%29

- Commercial : you can sell a software that makes use of OpenMW. So do your clients (because sublicensing is forbidden).
- Modify : of course, you can modify OpenMW to suit your needs. However, if you do modify it (or simply software-include it by compilation), your modifications are kept under the GPL licence. So do you clients (because sublicencing is forbidden).
- Distribute : you can distribute a software that includes OpenMW or distribute it separately, as long as you track changes/dates in source files (CHANGELOG), include LICENCE, COPYRIGHT (if any) and README files. So do your clients.
- Warranty : you can place a warranty on the software.
- Patent claims : you can use patent claims of some parts of your software.

In summary : as long as you distribute OpenMW as "separated from" (ie not compiled into) YOUR software part, you do not have to place your software under GPL licence.

On the contrary, if you fall under any condition that forces you to distribute your soft as GPL, then remember :
- your clients can re-distribute your software for free, or re-sell it ; however they can not replace your name by theirs.
- you have to provide the source code, for free, or for a price than is not superior to the price of your binaries.