open mw exlusives?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
rstevenson1976

open mw exlusives?

Post by rstevenson1976 »

I've been name dropping open mw a lot since I started playing it, but if asked is there any kind of list of features exclusive to open mw that plain ole morowind doesn't have? I've been really pushing the ability to play morrowind in linux without wine
Okulo

Re: open mw exlusives?

Post by Okulo »

It's open-source for one, resulting in fantastic flexibility. Try making a mod for vanilla Morrowind that overhauls the combat system. Or a mod that makes your inventory a table (much like Oblivion's inventory, where you can see the name, value and weight of each item immediately). It won't happen. With OpenMW, you can do it.

As for in-game, it looks a tad better out of the box, is less crash-prone and actually has a decent alchemy screen.

Also, OpenMW's devteam is not part of a company that needs a new game yesterday because they are going broke. They have enough time to optimize and polish it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Actually we have a lot of improvements over vanilla MW already.
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

I would say the game hasn't crashed much for me, (apart from some rare issues but now fixed) the game is really stable, and a lot of crashes have been fixed, (including the ones that made me crash a lot)

the original game was very crash prone for sure, openmw is better by a good distance.