TrueType font for OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
pvdk

Re: TrueType font for OpenMW

Post by pvdk »

Awesome work! For the numbers I suggest looking at a proprietary font called EF Medieva. I think I still have the bitmap files for the Russian and Polish versions of Morrowind somewhere, I'll look for them later.
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

I haven't been posting for a few days now, but I've been silently working hard. Today i have a huge update.

Pelagiad is pretty much finished! I've tested it myself with the English, French and Russian versions of Morrowind, and should work with all other official versions. I'm a bit unsure about Polish, I don't have the font files, and haven't been able to test, but I've added all the characters from the Wikipedia article on the Polish Alphabet, hopefully that's enough.

In addition to adding new characters, I've made lots of little tweaks to the old ones, and the entire font should look better and more closely resemble the original.
pvdk wrote:Awesome work! For the numbers I suggest looking at a proprietary font called EF Medieva. I think I still have the bitmap files for the Russian and Polish versions of Morrowind somewhere, I'll look for them later.
I looked at those numbers and they look really good, and I'd love to use them. Sadly my font has a very low baseline, and there simply is not enough space for numbers like that. To go as low as I need to with that style of numbers I would have to sacrifice a lot in compatibility to make it work.

With the font being pretty much complete, I'm still not sure how to distribute it. There isn't really a place to share OpenMW-specific mods yet. Of course, I'd love to have the font bundled with OpenMW itself, but unless there's a graphical way to select fonts, It seems like a lot of people would still rather want EB Garamond. If you have any ideas, please let me know.
Attachments
Pelagiad-1.0.zip
(19.54 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

How about GitHub? That's where Georg Duffner is hosting his font as well:
https://github.com/georgd/EB-Garamond

If your font is a complete faithful recreation of Morrowind's font I don't see why it wouldn't be bundled with OpenMW. The reason why I would prefer EB Garamond is because I know that font is already finished and working, making it a better choice than an incomplete font. If yours is up to the task then go for it. EB Garamond could still be an option as a mod for people who really want it. Personally I don't really care as long as the font is readable, which the original bitmap font was not at high resolutions.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Wow, thats nice. Would it be hard to add czech diacritic (ěščřžýáíéúů etc.)? I dont think there is alot of people that still play czech version of morrowind (since it breakes quests), but if adding czech diacritic is easy, then why not? :D
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

jirka642 wrote:Wow, thats nice. Would it be hard to add czech diacritic (ěščřžýáíéúů etc.)? I dont think there is alot of people that still play czech version of morrowind (since it breakes quests), but if adding czech diacritic is easy, then why not? :D
Sure! Here's a version with Czech diacritics. I made it in like 10 minutes so don't come complaining if it looks terrible, I'd have paid more attention if there was an official translation.

I've been working hard on this for almost two weeks, so I'm not in the mood for atting entire new languages, but if someone wants me to add some new diacritics that's fine.
Attachments
Pelagiad-1.Czech.zip
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Isaskar wrote: Sure! Here's a version with Czech diacritics. I made it in like 10 minutes so don't come complaining if it looks terrible, I'd have paid more attention if there was an official translation.
Have you uploaded the right file? It doesnt look like anything changed. (Even the hash is the same)
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
Isaskar

Post by Isaskar »

jirka642 wrote:Have you uploaded the right file? It doesnt look like anything changed. (Even the hash is the same)
Whoops! This one should be all right.
Attachments
Pelagiad 1.Czech.zip
(20.41 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Rippl

Post by Rippl »

I have one remark concerning polish characters. It's about letter "ź". For some reason it is a little bit thinner than "z" and "ż". It shouldn't be. "z", "ż" and "ż" should have the same base "z" shape.
Other than that, for me, it looks very good (still I'm no font expert).
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Isaskar wrote:Whoops! This one should be all right.
Thanks, looks great. ;)
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Great work! I found the bitmap files for all translations, but it seems you don't need them anymore (as it turns out OpenMW can export them now, I didn't know).

I would really like to ship this font with OpenMW, as I would love to use it in the launcher for the Play button. Make sure to figure out the licensing of your font before we do. I suggest the SIL Open Font License. Maybe also rename the font to OMW Pelagiad (or perhaps OMW Magicka?).