Skining + helmet does not work in the game.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
CemKey

Post by CemKey »

In the original Morrowind same helmet works fine. My helmet model.
PS Sorry for the Google translator.
scrawl

Re: Skining + helmet does not work in the game.

Post by scrawl »

Where can we download this helmet model?
CemKey

Post by CemKey »

https://yadi.sk/d/E_i23kxjdPTDo
That's not completed yet, but this will do.
Unzip the Meshes\a
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

As a quick fix, change the name of the following nodes:
"hair" -> "Head"
"Tri hair 0" -> "Tri head 0"
"Tri hair 1" -> "Tri head 1"
"Tri hair 2" -> "Tri head 2"

That made it show up properly:

Still, there seems to be an OpenMW issue here, so please create a new report on the bug tracker.
Actually I'm not sure how your mesh could have worked in the vanilla engine at all, since there is nothing named "hair" in the NPC skeleton. So how is it supposed to attach the helmet to the skeleton then?

The filtering system for skinned parts was pretty much written from guesswork, as there is no documentation available on it. Do you know how it's supposed to work?

You can read the current code here. Basically what it does is for each part type, a specific bone is used for filtering. For the Hair part type, that filter is "Head", so it will select any bones matching Head* or Tri Head*, then discard the others.
CemKey

Post by CemKey »

And where does the skeleton? Node-Hair and Shape-Tri Hair - this Body parts. After all, open helmets dress instead of hair. And vanilla open helmets not Tri Head does not work. I checked.
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

Hair is a valid name for skinned model, although example of those are introduced with mods only, somone should check those hood mods as well
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Committed a fix to use "hair" as node filter for Hair parts. I think the other part types are fine, to me the Skirt type stood out since it uses "Groin" instead of "Skirt" as filter but I tested that in the original engine and it uses "Groin" there as well.
The other types should be fine since they use a filter that matches the part name. Of course more testing is always appreciated.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

scrawl wrote:Committed a fix to use "hair" as node filter for Hair parts. I think the other part types are fine, to me the Skirt type stood out since it uses "Groin" instead of "Skirt" as filter but I tested that in the original engine and it uses "Groin" there as well.
The other types should be fine since they use a filter that matches the part name. Of course more testing is always appreciated.
I am not sure how the skirts relate to the "bone" or whatnot in the NIF; but in game you can put a skirt on over top of your greaves or other armor, if so inclined. IIRC there are guards in imperial armor that have that

ST the topic-skirter
sjek

Post by sjek »

Basically what have understood you create object's mesh in blender what you like to use and name is as needed ninode name as chest for exp which tells the game object type in vanilla engine. Then you can import it to morrowind using nifskope or script/manually in middlehand to get the data structure right if want to use animations or etc effects. Rest is just link it right body part in cs and done basically.

Morrowinds nif version is 4.0.0.2 so with blender nifstool forum importer is needed for combability maybe still.

For the skirt's if i remember right it's about the smesh used and with what bone it's moved. With quick search it's discussed also here before. It's like using better bodies and armors (not sure what combo it was) with vanilla skirts and they just go trought. They not interacting with one another was maybe engine limitation in physics engine. Nif should be able to do it as there is mod physiqued skirts......

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... ape#p13867
oblivion --> morrowind

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... art#p14160
Making ingame morrowind cuirass possibly with some sretching

Couldn't choose which one woud be better , p that nifskope could be easily used to check the ninode name in mod files.

Part listing goes for me to another day but as the ogre 2.0 is going to update scene nodes and skeletons partly i'm curious are you using ogre's cal3d2ogre to convert nif's to their xml and then to mesh or basically right to mesh / with your own converter..... all available properties of nifs imported .?