Not Sure Who To Talk To...

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
RounCole

Not Sure Who To Talk To...

Post by RounCole »

My big concerns for OpenMW is gameplay related content like menus and functionality that didnt exist in the vanilla game.

What I would like to see is not just modernizing the game and making it run smoother, but also having the capability and willingness from community members to truly IMPROVE the game as a whole. I am talking to people about existing mods and what to add that isnt already being added by OpenMW and trying to advocate for various things that can only be accomplished by people who have the knowledge and where-with-all to re-engineer the engine from scratch...

So who do I go and who do I talk to that I could be heard and not just noticed then ignored?
cc9cii

Re: Not Sure Who To Talk To...

Post by cc9cii »

That would be the eventual goal I would think. It's just that the current focus is getting it work like vanilla.
RounCole

Post by RounCole »

cc9cii wrote:That would be the eventual goal I would think. It's just that the current focus is getting it work like vanilla.
Yeah... But the thing is that every time I try to get anything layed out on here no one seems to care...
Chris

Post by Chris »

RounCole wrote:Yeah... But the thing is that every time I try to get anything layed out on here no one seems to care...
"Build it, and they will come."

Like any mod idea, don't expect other people to jump at the chance to help. Don't rely on anyone but yourself to do it. Just like with OpenMW: Nico didn't wait for other people to help before starting the project, he started doing it himself with what he had available. That in turn started getting him some recognition by other interested people, and they chose to help where they could.

Also, modders can't do anything OpenMW-specific until OpenMW has the capability to do more than vanilla Morrowind. But OpenMW is focused on getting vanilla compatibility first before adding new features, so there's little for modders to do right now that can't be done in vanilla. All that can be done is to come up with personal ideas and plans, of which there's plenty being thrown around.
RounCole

Post by RounCole »

Chris wrote:
RounCole wrote:Yeah... But the thing is that every time I try to get anything layed out on here no one seems to care...
"Build it, and they will come."

Like any mod idea, don't expect other people to jump at the chance to help. Don't rely on anyone but yourself to do it. Just like with OpenMW: Nico didn't wait for other people to help before starting the project, he started doing it himself with what he had available. That in turn started getting him some recognition by other interested people, and they chose to help where they could.

Also, modders can't do anything OpenMW-specific until OpenMW has the capability to do more than vanilla Morrowind. But OpenMW is focused on getting vanilla compatibility first before adding new features, so there's little for modders to do right now that can't be done in vanilla. All that can be done is to come up with personal ideas and plans, of which there's plenty being thrown around.
I fail to see the point of asking for help after I have done all the work myself before the fact... It seems like a contradiction to finish something then ask for help when its finished...
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

It's not that you need to do all the work, you just have to get the work started. Having an idea is not enough, you need to start making something concrete and once people see that you are serious about it they will be interested in joining. An idea on its own is worthless, everyone has ideas, what you need is a plan: what exactly is your goal, how are you going to structure the work, what tools and skills are needed, which work will you do? The more fleshed out everything is and the more you can show off, the more likely it is for people to join.
raevol

Post by raevol »

RounCole, I'm not sure that you understand OpenMW, nor that you understand open source.

This project's intention is to create an open source engine for Morrowind, and mods that run on the original Morrowind engine. We have structured this project around creating a feature-complete "1.0" release, that is functionally equivalent to the original engine. It is very important for this project that we do not take on work outside that goal until the 1.0 release is completed, as an assurance that the project will, in fact, be completed to that point. This is very important and it is very important that you understand it.

The other reason we have a "1.0" goal, is that pretty much everyone working on the project has plans for OpenMW once we hit our 1.0 release. Everyone wants to expand the modding capabilities of the engine, to allow for mods that add all sorts of functionality that wasn't possible with the original engine. The reason that Zini, who is our project leader, is even part of this project, is that he wants OpenMW to enable modders to do more with the engine than could be done with the original.

We have a problem with this project, where we attract a lot of people who want this feature or that feature added to this engine. And what they don't understand, is that until we hit our 1.0 goal, nothing extra is getting added. And once we hit 1.0, anything and everything possible will be added. Your desired features will be added! With one caveat, which brings me to my next point:

This is an open source project. No one is getting paid to work on this project. Everyone is a volunteer. Everything that you receive as a benefit from this project is a gift to you out of the time and expertise of volunteers who have put in long hours on this project. Nothing on this project gets done unless someone volunteers to do it. The beauty is that if YOU want something added, YOU are completely free to put in YOUR time and effort and add whatever you like. But if there is something you want added, and no one else wants to give up their time to add it for you, and you are too lazy to do it yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself. And it's incredibly disrespectful for you to come here saying you are "being ignored" because someone didn't immediately drop everything they were doing to make you happy.

Now please understand, I'm pretty sure whatever it is you want added is something that will be possible and probably added at some point. So I'm not trying to shut down your hopes and dreams. But please show some respect for the people who are busting their ass to make this project a reality. There is one tiny feature that I want to see implemented on this project that I have been waiting months to see implemented, but aside from some accidental harassment of scrawl in the chat room, I have kept my peace, because I know that I can't be selfish and demand what I want, I need to wait for someone else who is a dev on this project to code it, or learn to code myself and do it myself.

I hope I haven't been completely offensive with this post. But please understand what this project is before posting, and please show some respect for the work other people are doing here. We would be very grateful for any contributions you want to make to this project. I can't code very well myself, and I also don't have a lot of free time, but I've gone out of my way to find my own ways of contributing to this project. If you are passionate about seeing it succeed, I suggest you do the same. It's very rewarding, and it will be an eye-opening experience to see how everything that is done on a project like this is completely volunteer work.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

To add to what raevol already said: If you can't code but still want to help the project reach version 1.0 faster, you could start hunting bugs, here's a little primer: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... Guidelines
RounCole

Post by RounCole »

raevol wrote:RounCole, I'm not sure that you understand OpenMW, nor that you understand open source.

This project's intention is to create an open source engine for Morrowind, and mods that run on the original Morrowind engine. We have structured this project around creating a feature-complete "1.0" release, that is functionally equivalent to the original engine. It is very important for this project that we do not take on work outside that goal until the 1.0 release is completed, as an assurance that the project will, in fact, be completed to that point. This is very important and it is very important that you understand it.

The other reason we have a "1.0" goal, is that pretty much everyone working on the project has plans for OpenMW once we hit our 1.0 release. Everyone wants to expand the modding capabilities of the engine, to allow for mods that add all sorts of functionality that wasn't possible with the original engine. The reason that Zini, who is our project leader, is even part of this project, is that he wants OpenMW to enable modders to do more with the engine than could be done with the original.

We have a problem with this project, where we attract a lot of people who want this feature or that feature added to this engine. And what they don't understand, is that until we hit our 1.0 goal, nothing extra is getting added. And once we hit 1.0, anything and everything possible will be added. Your desired features will be added! With one caveat, which brings me to my next point:

This is an open source project. No one is getting paid to work on this project. Everyone is a volunteer. Everything that you receive as a benefit from this project is a gift to you out of the time and expertise of volunteers who have put in long hours on this project. Nothing on this project gets done unless someone volunteers to do it. The beauty is that if YOU want something added, YOU are completely free to put in YOUR time and effort and add whatever you like. But if there is something you want added, and no one else wants to give up their time to add it for you, and you are too lazy to do it yourself, you have no one to blame but yourself. And it's incredibly disrespectful for you to come here saying you are "being ignored" because someone didn't immediately drop everything they were doing to make you happy.

Now please understand, I'm pretty sure whatever it is you want added is something that will be possible and probably added at some point. So I'm not trying to shut down your hopes and dreams. But please show some respect for the people who are busting their ass to make this project a reality. There is one tiny feature that I want to see implemented on this project that I have been waiting months to see implemented, but aside from some accidental harassment of scrawl in the chat room, I have kept my peace, because I know that I can't be selfish and demand what I want, I need to wait for someone else who is a dev on this project to code it, or learn to code myself and do it myself.

I hope I haven't been completely offensive with this post. But please understand what this project is before posting, and please show some respect for the work other people are doing here. We would be very grateful for any contributions you want to make to this project. I can't code very well myself, and I also don't have a lot of free time, but I've gone out of my way to find my own ways of contributing to this project. If you are passionate about seeing it succeed, I suggest you do the same. It's very rewarding, and it will be an eye-opening experience to see how everything that is done on a project like this is completely volunteer work.
I find it very difficult to finish reading someones post when they start off by criticizing, especially when they are oblivious to what im talking about. I got through your first paragraph and knew that I would not be able to finish. This (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2568) Was the core project that I wanted to work on, and after posting and trying to 'flesh it out, as the other guy put it. I only had one response on the issue, and even that one person hasnt said anything to me for a good two weeks even though I am actively finding new material to contribute to the project...

I try and try to get something layed out on the table, I try and try to get be a meaningful member of what is going on trying to contribute to the greater whole. It would seem that the lion-share of people either dont care or wont make themselves known.

You all talk and talk about the 'project' as if I have to wait for the 1.0 to exist in order to plan ahead. What I am asking for is very small, maybe a half dozen people doing light weight searching and testing. Its amazing that I can be criticized for not trying enough, yet an attempt to try is met with blinding indifference be the public at large... I came here to post this thread just to see if I could get a bearing on who I should talk to or where I should go, and instead of having any answer to that effect in any regard, I am met only with criticism...

If there is any one thing that I would like, is for people to stop being hypocrites who criticize yet never do what they themselves say. Or at the least, for people to take their hypocrisy away from me...
raevol

Post by raevol »

RounCole wrote:I find it very difficult to finish reading someones post when they start off by criticizing, especially when they are oblivious to what im talking about.
So should I stop reading right there?
RounCole wrote:I got through your first paragraph and knew that I would not be able to finish.
That sucks because you should have.
RounCole wrote:This (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2568) Was the core project that I wanted to work on, and after posting and trying to 'flesh it out, as the other guy put it.
Upgrading mods and adding features are two different things. Again, you misunderstand OpenMW. And upgrading mods to support OpenMW-only features is a third thing altogether.
RounCole wrote:I only had one response on the issue, and even that one person hasnt said anything to me for a good two weeks even though I am actively finding new material to contribute to the project... I try and try to get something layed out on the table, I try and try to get be a meaningful member of what is going on trying to contribute to the greater whole. It would seem that the lion-share of people either dont care or wont make themselves known.
Again, sorry people aren't knocking down your door to volunteer their own time to address your individual request.
RounCole wrote:You all talk and talk about the 'project' as if I have to wait for the 1.0 to exist in order to plan ahead.
Unless you're going to contribute code, that is correct. You can plan ahead all you want, but unless someone implements the features, you can't use them.
RounCole wrote:What I am asking for is very small, maybe a half dozen people doing light weight searching and testing. Its amazing that I can be criticized for not trying enough, yet an attempt to try is met with blinding indifference be the public at large... I came here to post this thread just to see if I could get a bearing on who I should talk to or where I should go, and instead of having any answer to that effect in any regard, I am met only with criticism...
Sorry you don't have a good grasp of the "big picture" of this project. If memory serves, there have been several initiatives on this board to put together a "Definitive Morrowind Mod Collection" on these boards, and all have fallen by the wayside due to lack of manpower. I'm hoping that changes after 1.0, but at least when 1.0 hits we'll be able to play Morrowind.
RounCole wrote:If there is any one thing that I would like, is for people to stop being hypocrites who criticize yet never do what they themselves say. Or at the least, for people to take their hypocrisy away from me...
Gosh, if only I could think of some way to contribute to this project... oh wait, I already did. And I explained that at the end of the small essay I wrote that you quoted but didn't read.

Are you still reading RounCole? If you are, I sincerely apologize that the tone of this conversation has turned sour. That wasn't my intention. In my first reply, I was expressing a bit of the frustration that a lot of us feel with entitled gamer-types who come on our boards demanding this feature or that timeline. My reply also was perhaps a bit more general, directed towards all of the visitors and requests we have had, rather than your specific post. So I apologize for that. But please RounCole, it would be much appreciated if you could focus your efforts on finding ways to contribute, rather than complaining that people aren't jumping to help you with exactly what you want.