Playthrough observations

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Pherim

Re: Playthrough observations

Post by Pherim »

So the problem is in the animation? Does that mean it could be fixed for original Morrowind as well?
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

The fact is was never fixed original implies it is not a trivial fix.

It seems there are two sorts of idle animation, first is a true idle animation which should end exactly where it started and resetting movement caused by an idle animation would solve the problem of some actors drifting over time. The second idle movement is one where the actor is meant to end up in a different place, I am not sure if that is an idle animation though, it is a movement. If these idle movements were not classed as idle animations then the reset after idle function would work for idle animations and the idle movement would not be affected.

I am not sure what these idle animations that intentionally move actors are, if they are part of an attempt to get people moving randomly around towns then it seems these idle movements could become part of an automated AI system where actors live 'normal' lives going to bed at night and following approximate paths during the day
qqqbbb

Post by qqqbbb »

There is nothing wrong with idle animations. See this.
sjek

Post by sjek »

namely for staggering at cell border.
It is caused by the root bone movement in the idle animations. In a full cycle the root bone would return to where it started, but this cycle can be interrupted by cell changes. We might fix this in OpenMW at some point, but it's not easy. One problem is that root bone movement interact with the physics system. Another problem is defining what we should reset and what we shouldn't reset; for instance, the Dancers in Suran have an idle animation that literally moves them around the room.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

qqqbbb wrote:There is nothing wrong with idle animations. See this.
Scroll down to post #22.

If the problem is the interruption of idle animations is causing NPCs to move away from their intended position, it seems like the solution would be to simply not interrupt animations. Would it be possible to simply allow an animation to finish before unloading an NPC, instead of unloading them in the middle of whatever animation they're playing?

Or has this already been fixed in OpenMW? I noticed this topic was a few months old.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Greywander wrote:If the problem is the interruption of idle animations is causing NPCs to move away from their intended position, it seems like the solution would be to simply not interrupt animations. Would it be possible to simply allow an animation to finish before unloading an NPC, instead of unloading them in the middle of whatever animation they're playing?
There's no telling how long the animation they're playing may be. And if the cell is being unloaded, they can't hang around animating.

Ideally, the NPCs should have some AI package telling them to be at a specific spot, rather than leaving them to stand wherever they are. So even if they do drift, they'll move back. You'd have a similar issue if one got aggravated or feared and ran to attack or flee from something... when combat ends, they'll stay where they ended up instead of going back to their spot.
wareya

Post by wareya »

Forgive me if I have something wrong or repeat what's already said, cuz my memory of this issue is foggy. I read up this thread and the relevant stuff right before bed one night.

So, the drift doesn't happen /while/ animating, because the animations are normalized. In that case, why is it that changing cells causes them to drift? Do the animations reset when you reload the actor? How about we don't do that? Seems like a base-level problem. Loading back in and having them in the same pose is preferable to having them drift. There's no perfect solution that doesn't add complexity to the situation.

You could detect whether an NPC is considered stationary and only apply this to those.
raevol

Post by raevol »

This discussion went around in circles last time this thread was active. It looks like qqqbbb necroed this thread without reading it. Is he copy/pasting text from a previous post? Is it a bot?
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

raevol wrote:Is it a bot?
I don't think qqqbbb(with 545 posts) is a bot because, it seemed he was engaged in the thread he linked which was talking about the cause of the animated drifter's(Ano Andaram looking at you)