Learning C++ and OpenGL to extend OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
HeadClot

Learning C++ and OpenGL to extend OpenMW

Post by HeadClot »

Hey everyone,

So I am currently learning C++ and soon after OpenGL. I want to contribute to the OpenMW project as well as understand what programmers do.

With that said there is more reason learning C++ and OpenGL.

I made a post at the top of this thread

Here is the Contents of the post that I linked to.
Model / Animation Editor with Animation playback -

Why am I suggesting this -
This would allow us to preview models and get an Idea on Scale as well as preview animations within OpenCS.
As well as find problems with animations / Models that the creator of said model did not see initially.

.FBX file format support -

This file format is supported by pretty much every 3D modeling application under the sun including Blender as of 2.72.
This would also give me the ability to commission a plugin for OpenMW that would allow us to preview our levels in real time based off of existing code.

Example Usage with out plugin
After we are done making our models we would export as a .FBX
We would then import into OpenCS or whatever application we are using.

Example Usage with plugin
http://vimeo.com/101552170

Animation Blend Trees - See here

Easier animation blending for the Art Team.

Example usage
If a character is walking we can blend 2 or more animations together such as walking, Head movement, etc
http://vimeo.com/2007054
I want to extend OpenMW in an meaningful way that will help artists as well as coders make progress in OpenMW with their own games. With that said I am starting from the ground up in terms of learning. So do not expect anything out for me for a while.

I will be posting this under the Feature request / Suggesting area as well. In case someone else wants to tackle this before I am done learning C++.

Also any suggestions on what else I should learn?

I have C++ and OpenGL tutorials ready to go.

- HeadClot
Zini

Re: Learning C++ and OpenGL to extend OpenMW

Post by Zini »

First, forget about OpenGL. OpenMW is rendering system agnostic (mostly). We usually don't do anything OpenGL specific and we are unlikely to accept OpenGL only code.
Model / Animation Editor with Animation playback -
We have a model preview feature in OpenCS. At some point we should also add the ability to preview animations.

However, while I am not a regular user of 3D modelling programs, I got the impression that these usually have the ability to run animations. Shouldn't potential problems show up there?
.FBX file format support -
We will be using something based on the native OGRE format. We have no plans to add support for additional formats, because these files would have to be translated first. That is a process best done in the respective modelling program.
Animation Blend Trees
We will look into the animation situation after 1.0. This will require a careful evaluation of our options. I think chris had some ideas about it, but at this point it is still open how we will proceed and we are not going to make a decision right now.
This would also give me the ability to commission a plugin for OpenMW that would allow us to preview our levels in real time based off of existing code.
I don't understand what you mean by that.

Sorry, if I am raining on your parade a bit here. You would still be most welcome to help with the OpenMW development and starting with learning C++ is certainly the right approach.
SquireNed

Re: Learning C++ and OpenGL to extend OpenMW

Post by SquireNed »

Zini wrote:We have a model preview feature in OpenCS. At some point we should also add the ability to preview animations.

However, while I am not a regular user of 3D modelling programs, I got the impression that these usually have the ability to run animations. Shouldn't potential problems show up there?
Potential problems might show up in the modelling program, but they could have issues in transfer or in OpenMW that could be caught in OpenCS if the OpenCS implementation for displaying animations is identical to the OpenMW one. However, I'd like to rain on the parade and point out that unless the implementation is identical, there could still be issues.