Asset Update to Ogre3D Discussion Thread

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Mistahtokyo

Re: Asset Update to Ogre3D Discussion Thread

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Any news on this? Seemed to go quiet all of a sudden.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

SquireNed wrote:Skyrim-style grass
What is Skyrim-style grass? Isn't is still the same patchy shit as Oblivion?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Okulo wrote:
SquireNed wrote:Skyrim-style grass
What is Skyrim-style grass? Isn't is still the same patchy shit as Oblivion?
Yes, but worse (I find Skyrim's grass to be patchier and less 'full' than Oblivion). I'd prefer to see procedural grass, rather than placed grass models.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Okay, people, I think it's time to set this in motion.
I switched all registered users to different group, so you can now start picking your claims.
There are some meshes already claimed, or finished, so you can take a look at them.
Please start with higher priority ones first. Also if you know about some replacer mod, that has meshes in a quality we need, mention it here or on the database forum.

The guideline here is perfectly valid, so make sure you read it.
If you have some questions, feel free to ask.
Good luck!
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

By the way, if you need some support for this I really recommend creating a thread on the Bethsoft forums and sharing some example models to show people this is really happening. Although many people visit both the Bethsoft forums and these, not everyone does, so you may find some new modelers.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Thought I should mention Skies , which replaces the mesh and texture for the skies (and a few other things)
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/21960/?

Makes a huge difference in the overall visual experience. You need to go to a forum post (link in the post section of the mod) to get the latest version. The screenshots doesn't make it justice, it's really gorgeous in game.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Sorry guys, haven't had the time to learn blender properly yet. Have installed everything I need though.

Just wanted to pop in with a link to this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43288/?

Especially interesting is the license:

"All meshes and esp-files from the mod can be used anywhere without asking, but you must remember that it is only an alpha-version, and stay tuned."
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

There is also http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/38170/? which has a good licence, and perhaps these two would like to join the project.
noahsummers

Post by noahsummers »

I suppose I should chime in here, just to demonstrate further interest.

Back when I saw the first video demonstrating spec/normal maps in OMW, I set out on a short-lived quest to modernize the "Misc" meshes/textures folders. At the time, my only baking/texturing tool was Blender, so I burnt myself out on the idea before making anything more than this updated kwama egg. As you can see, my goal was not to make "hi-res" copies of the originals, but to take what was there and make "next gen" sense of it; e.g., rather than copying the original diffuse texture, I decided to incorporate the funky coloration as an oil-slicky spec map.

Large Kwama Egg (View in 3D)

Currently armed with the Substance suite, and seeing that there's an interest in achieving what was my eventual goal, I'm eager to resume work, though I can't at all predict when. Got a full time job, and on top of that I've already committed to a professional game project. Once I've brought that project to a certain rate of production, though, I can totally justify taking time on the side to modernize some MW assets.

In case it should pique anyone's curiosity, I did make a complete set of revamped Dwemer meshes way back in the day (like 2009 or something). I still have them lying around, and anyone is free to do with them what they would like, as long as they give credit and link back to my portfolio somewhere (http://www.artstation.com/artist/blendroid).

I've zipped up the old folder and uploaded it here: http://sta.sh/0eq2sg6xhd1