Simple praise.

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
masteredwood

Simple praise.

Post by masteredwood »

I don't have anything super relevant to say, but I love where this is going. As someone who loves Morrowind with a passion, I was super bummed out that my computer was too good for this game. I think i speak for everyone who lurks the forms when i say, GREAT JOB GUYS. 8-)
vv221

Re: Simple praise.

Post by vv221 »

masteredwood wrote:I think i speak for everyone who lurks the forms when i say, GREAT JOB GUYS. 8-)
At least you speak for me ;)
What is done here is nothing less than AWESOME!!

I wish I knew C++…
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

vv221 wrote: I wish I knew C++…
I learned C++ specifically because of OpenMW and my desire to work on the project. Every step of the way has been thoroughly enjoyable; after about 10 months of on and off learning I was able to work on the project and help out in the AI department. I haven't done anything for the project since due to several inconvienences (moving, 6 months without internet and now my computer's processor burning out) but I eagerly await my return.

I highly recommend taking some time and learning C++, it isn't as hard as it sounds and it is actually very fun.
vv221

Post by vv221 »

To be honest, the only language I know a bit is Bash, used in small scripts mostly for automation.
But I think you're right, C++ should be as good a language as any to do my first steps into programming.
And with the idea to contribute to OpenMW at the end, I might even be able to stay focused on it!

Do you have some tips for a total newbie?
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Start off learning loops and conditions

if, else if, else statements

Code: Select all

if I'm happen
    I go to the movies.
else if I'm angry
    I go boxing
else 
    I eat ice-cream
while loops

while I'm hungry
    eat
do while

do
    pushups
while weak
for loops

for each hour of work
    + 10 minutes of fun
Just try to understand the logic of these looping mechanisms and thats like 60% of coding.

For C pointers you just have to know the party analogy.

If there is a party than there is an address.
If your at the party then you can look up the address.
If you know the address you can go to the party.
if you don't know the addess and aren't at the party you can go through all of the addesses and check <- good luck :mrgreen:

Then with all languages there is syntax semantics... which are arbitrary and you just have to look them up and memorize them.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Jyby wrote:if you don't know the addess and aren't at the party you can go through all of the addesses and check <- good luck :mrgreen:
Hahahahahaha....
vv221

Post by vv221 »

Okay, I use this kind of loops in my Bash scripts, so what you're telling me is I'm already 60% into knowing C++ before even starting to read anything!
And I already know the basics about C pointers…

Well, learning C++ by doing nothing seems to be going well, I like it!
:mrgreen:

(maybe I've been underestimating my knowledge of coding by referring myself as a "total newbie")
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Learning new language is trivial (even if it is C++ with it's crazy syntax, and nasty surprises) when compared to learning the way of you should think about programming in that language. Sometimes switching from one language is easy (but boring) like in the case of C++ to java switch, sometimes it is a bit harder (but a lot more exciting) like in the case of learning lisp when you know C++.

Overall, if you can understand many ways of thinking, if you can construct abstractions according to that, love to learn new things and have enough discipline to do things well – you can be a programmer.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Jyby wrote:Just try to understand the logic of these looping mechanisms and thats like 60% of coding.
The other 40% consists of figuring out where exactly you forgot a semi-colon.

Semi-colon. My eternal nemesis.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

try lisp. No semicolons (well, for comments).

or python ;-)